Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
That does make sense dave if I'm understanding you correctly, the MG from the back is literally sitting on its arse when going through corners and lifting that front wheel. as much fun as it is to get that wheel to rise the main goal is getting the handling characteristics to be similar to the historic Midgets as I can, just down to wanting a car I can throw around brands hatch and get bum in seat time. nothing beats that for gaining confidence and learning tracks then going around and around, as long as you know what you're doing of course. The little A-Series engine in that car was producing 130bhp and raving to 7500 to 8000 rpm they only last a season (which for us was normal 6 race meetings) before they need rebuilding. so charging around in a historic all day isn't really an option unless pockets are deep. hence the 5

If she can four wheel drift and flows like these old motors I would have done it.

Oh and here is a rear view of the last time I got to go out in a MG, I think this is what you would call hitting the droop limit :LOL:. I stuck this up in my introduction thread but think its applicable here as well.
View attachment 60094
Got to admit, that looks like a hell of a lot of fun! Good luck getting a '5 to handle like that, genuinely wish you all the best with it! I'm sure it's doable as these cars are an amazing blank canvas. Might be worth looking at Keith Tanner's targa Miata build for some pointers and tips on a race car designed around a soft and compliant suspension setup. Granted his car will have way more suspension travel than you need, but there's probably a lot of ideas you can cherry pick from there. He's basically the guru of Miata's across the pond!

Link: Targa Miata

I can see what you're trying to do, and it makes a lot of sense, I hope you can get it to work as it sounds like a really interesting project! (y)

21 - 21 of 21 Posts