Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
No worries! Like I say, not an expert but I've been modifying and driving my NA for best part of 12 years now, so I'm familiar with what works well and what doesn't with it. You could certainly speak to some suspension manufacturers but for a custom set you'll be into some serious dough I imagine! The Gaz's are probably a really good set, but geared for flat handling and grip instead of slip angle, so might not yield the results you're after. On the plus side P6000's are pennies, especially in 14's so you could probably whack a set on and go at it without much to lose! Sounds like you're after a stiff chassis and soft suspension and low grip tyres which is the opposite of what most people are after so no wonder you're getting funny looks! 馃槀

As for ITB's, you know they make sense! I'll be getting a set of ZX10r throttle bodies fitted to mine in a few months time which will hopefully take me from 155bhp to somewhere in the region of 170bhp with any luck. And they sound brilliant of course which doesn't hurt!
do it for the noise, not the power.

What engine do you have that's at 155bhp?

Registered
Same as yourself by the looks of things, VVT swapped NA! It's been a great swap so far, but now I'm getting a hankering for a bit more pep and the sound of course as well!
Eventual aim is to do headwork and cams to aim for the 185bhp mark. That'll be a skim, port and polish and maybe valves depending, but no bottom end work, and that'll do me I reckon as it's only for B road blasting. No track work for me!
Interesting - what ECU are you running? you don't happen to have a dyno print do you?

I had originally planned to go down the ITBs route but having wrestled with multiple issues on the car, I'm only just now getting to a point where it's being tuned properly to bring it back to an OEM feel. My love for wanting to throw money at ITBs has dwindled xD

Registered
I'm running an ME221 Gen2 on mine currently. Only mods engine wise are a stainless exhaust front to back with silenced decat, FPR, Wideband and Pipercross panel filter in the stock (drilled) airbox.

Dyno print is attached but it's on 95ron so a tad lower at 152.7bhp. With 98ron you get the full fat experience!
Speaking with Dan ITB's require a full re-tune, and I've heard they can be funny on cold starts when it comes to tuning, however my neighbour has an MK Indy with a set of Dan's ITB's on a Duratec 2.5L and he runs it all year round with them no problems, so I guess a lot of it comes down to setup in the end, like so many things! I'll be interested to see what figures I end up at, but the last VVT with a set on hit 165bhp and it was a weaker engine than mine so I'm optimistic we'll make the 170 figure!

View attachment 60093
Yeah to be honest I was fully expecting around 160-165bhp on my VVT with premium petrol. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that. I think you will easily attain the figures you want. Altho I think the gap between your two maps is what you want to see, a dyno bhp figure is after all dependant on the dyno itself.

Registered
I think standard is 143bhp so anything in the 155bhp zone is very healthy for a stock engine. The problem with these engines is they don't breathe and flow well, so anything you can do to alleviate that will help. From my research 185bhp is about the upper limit for a road engine that doesn't have bottom end work done to it. Maybe 190-195 at a push with a huge skim and high octane fuel but you're really beginning to push it at that point into the race spec engine zone! Unfortunately I didn't do a run prior to this work, but I'll be able to get a comparison once the ITB's are fitted eventually. PM me if you want any advice from my experiences! (y)
Appreciate it

I am really just throwing a VVT in with little work, a wideband and an MS3, ultra lightweight 1.6 fly and clutch, nb downpipe, mk1 mx5 parts exhaust.

I'm not expecting miracles from my tuning, I just want the car peppy and drivable in all weather.

If my turbo NB ever dies, it might end up getting turbo parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts