Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I have been on the forum for a while now, I have a 1.6 mk1.

My brother in law has been offered a 96 mk1 1.8 eunos V spec B from his uncle. Uncle paid £2500 about a year ago now selling it to bro in law for £1600. Only 800 made. Has the Bilsteins as well
Its in mint condition with only 60,000 miles on the clock. I don't know much about the 1.8s Is there anything usual problems he should be aware of. I'm sure I read somewhere the 1.8 engine is not as robust as the 1.6.

Its quite funny really as he gives me so much grief for owning a mx5, now this has come up he is very tempted. This will be a dedicated track day only car for him if he takes it. In theory 1.8 has bigger brakes, stronger clutch and torsion lsd, all a bonus on track just need sticky rubber decent suspension and good pads.

Any advice/ opinions?

Nathan

·
The nutzer formerly known as Fenix
1,578 Posts
Not heard of issues with 1.8 engines. Took mine on a trackday last month with just pads changed and it was great fun.

Sticky tyres and suspension will make it even better but it's not essential.

·
I like turtles.
1,481 Posts
If the car is in as good condition as you say, 60k on the clock and mint condition, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THINGS HOLY (even though i'm athiest and don't believe in that crap) DO NOT turn it into a track car. Please. Please. PLEASE.

Just get a cheap one for £300 and then spend your savings on mods.

But on a serious note, if he does put that car on a track i will find him, and i will kill him

·
I like turtles.
1,481 Posts

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
If the car is in as good condition as you say, 60k on the clock and mint condition, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND ALL THINGS HOLY (even though i'm athiest and don't believe in that crap) DO NOT turn it into a track car. Please. Please. PLEASE.

But on a serious note, if he does put that car on a track i will find him, and i will kill him
If that is the case James, I'm sure your won't enjoy what I will tell you. Last year, I sold my UK MX5 1.8 Classic 47,000 genuine miles - 1 of 400, excellent condition with all original parts (you get the picture!). It is now seeing a life that I would never have imagined, with it being modified with what can only be described as 'only the best will do' - the owner is on here, however he and the vehicle resides abroad.

In all credit to the owner, the extensive work being carried out is with the best intentions and with the most attention to detail I've seen in a long time. In a few months, the car was stripped to bare metal for prep, most on here would've enjoyed the car as it was! I'm sure you will see the car over the coming months as the project updates.

A serious project indeed.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Not long ago I would have agreed whole heartedly with this but temptation is hard to resist with mx5's. I have a lovely untouched mk1 with 38k on the clock, hard-top, tan-leather etc and I swore blind I would leave it standard, but then I started looking at HSD's, bracing, bucket seats, superchargers etc etc and I'm afraid 2013 may be the year I break! I think it's because the cars lend themselves so well to a bit of tweaking and the parts are generally inexpensive compared to other cars. And I say all this as a well researched and committed Christian ;-).

·
I like turtles.
1,481 Posts

Not long ago I would have agreed whole heartedly with this but temptation is hard to resist with mx5's. I have a lovely untouched mk1 with 38k on the clock, hard-top, tan-leather etc and I swore blind I would leave it standard, but then I started looking at HSD's, bracing, bucket seats, superchargers etc etc and I'm afraid 2013 may be the year I break! I think it's because the cars lend themselves so well to a bit of tweaking and the parts are generally inexpensive compared to other cars. And I say all this as a well researched and committed Christian ;-).
[/quote]

This is the thing though, you can get a crappy Mx5 for a lot cheaper. People are starting to realise the value of mx5's now, especially the Mk1's. If you have a car in that good condition, then why go ruin it?

Keep it for 5 years, SORN it, garage it, whatever. The price will go up because they're such good cars and it's rare to find one in such good nick.

It saddens me

·
Registered
656 Posts

[/quote]

This is the thing though, you can get a crappy Mx5 for a lot cheaper. People are starting to realise the value of mx5's now, especially the Mk1's. If you have a car in that good condition, then why go ruin it?

Keep it for 5 years, SORN it, garage it, whatever. The price will go up because they're such good cars and it's rare to find one in such good nick.

It saddens me

[/quote]

Thing is track days are expensive and I would rather track a good mx5 that I knew and trusted had been looked after than a cheap £300 example that could be majorly unreliable when really pushed during track use. Chances are you might have paid £300 just for the track time so why risk taking an unreliable/unknown car.

So I would always seek out a good example as the basis of a track toy, as will give less hassle, although one with some track modifications already done is even better. There are plenty of mx5s around (best-selling sports car in the world) so I think it will be a lot longer than 5yrs before they are getting rare. Old mgs, spitfires etc aren't even rare yet or worth much, and there are far more mx5s than these made and made to a much better standard.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have to agree with the above.

A £300 car will end up costing you a bomb keeping it up to scratch. At that price its going to be a rust bucket with high miles, not ideal for a strong reliable track car. Its probably been abused and had a crash at some point of its life.

Leave the £300 mx5s to the lads who just want to slam it with cheap inferior coilovers and so much camber that the only thing it will do is go sideways. Then they can sticker bomb it as much as they like. That is the type of person that needs to keep out of a mint condition mx5.

All things track can be removed and put back to standard once the fun has been had.

Nathan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.