Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi.Deliberating between buying a turbo kit (for someone else to fit) and buying a car with turbo (current preference).Are there any sensible questions I should ask a seller of an already turbo'd car?Thanks in advance,Neil

*** Summary of responses below (and a couple I found elsewhere) are listed here ***

is it...
  • home-brew or
  • off-the-shelf
was it...
  • installed professionally - any info on the installer (probably worth searching on nuts forum for the name of the installer)
is/are there...
  • bigger injectors
  • any dyno charts
  • intercooling
which...
  • management system is installed
Ask if any other parts have been upgraded to help with the extra power...
  • Brakes (e.g. if on a 1.6 have uprated brakes been put on?)
  • Clutch
Don't...
  • Be put off by track use, most track cars have more regular servicing and are push enough to show weak points that get sorted unlike on the road where its not til you push it a bit and things go wrong
  • Be blinded by the turbo itself - still check the usual MX5 weak points, sill rust etc
Check things like...
  • oil feed and drain lines
  • any extra wiring
  • the quality of pipework and clips used.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
is it homebrew or an off the shelf kit,

was it installed professionally - any info on the installer,

any dyno charts,

most importantly - what management system is installed,

theres loads more but these are just off the top of my head,

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
General servicing questions, cooling system condition/upgrades, if a 1.6 then any 1.8 parts fitted like brakes, prop diff shafts, what clutch or age if standard.
I wouldn't be put off by track use, most track cars have more regular servicing and are push enough to show weak points that get sorted unlike on the road where its not til you push it a bit and things go wrong.

Number 1 has to be engine management, and tune tho.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Providing it all sounds good, you need to take a real good look at the quality of the installation. Its the detail stuff that will cause you grief, so look at stuff like oil feed and drain lines, any extra wiring, and even the quality of pipework and clips used.
After that, its the ancilliaries that can add extra cost/hassle such as what clutch is fitted, what brakes etc.

I'm sure you wouldn't do this but...don't be blinded by a neat installation and forget to look at the obvious MX5 problems like rust and rubbish paintwork.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.