Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Morning All,

I'm currently scouring the market for a nice 1.8 mk1 and will be selling my 1.6 mk2.5. A few cars have come up that I'm interested in but not loads. Just wonder where else I should be looking other than auto-trader / eBay?

I'm looking to spend up to about 3k, so hoping this should bag me a fairly nice one? Having done some reading on here I will be going for a Eunos, ideally with an LSD.

I've spotted this on auto trader, which looks cracking, but noticed in the 'performance and economy' tab it says its a 90bhp 1.6! I'm hoping it's auto-trader who have got it wrong. Any Eunos experts able to miraculously identify the car and tell me if it is indeed the 1.8? Thoughts & opinions welcome.

My focus is to take my time and find a car I can keep, and maintain and modify forever!

Cheers in advance.

Pin.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
You could probably get one with a turbo for that money. You certainly dont need 3 grand to pick up a good standard mk1

if it is a 1.6 it's the slow kind

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You could probably get one with a turbo for that money. You certainly dont need 3 grand to pick up a good standard mk1

Thats good to hear - would love one with a turbo, was planning to go FI long term anyhow. I'm guessing turbo'd car's are a little harder to find?

Have seen one or two nice looking ones on the for sale pages here but these have been too far away for me so far.

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
I've spotted this on auto trader, which looks cracking, but noticed in the 'performance and economy' tab it says its a 90bhp 1.6! I'm hoping it's auto-trader who have got it wrong. Any Eunos experts able to miraculously identify the car and tell me if it is indeed the 1.8? Thoughts & opinions welcome.
If it is a 1.8 then looks like a mistake in the description, only the 1.6 was detuned to 90Bhp after they brought out the 1.8Mk1.

car looks nice, and the hardtop comes with it? keep looking though, you may be able to get better/newer/turbo for that sort of money.

·
Registered
914 Posts
The one in your link is a nice 1.8 import. Very nice standard example and the price isn't bad for a low mileage import with new roof and hardtop. You can get cheaper cars but I suggest you view a few other cars first and leave this one as the last one to view. I'm pretty certain that you'll probably end buying the one in your link after maybe knocking a little off the price.

Make sure you look underneath to inspect the condition of the arms and subframes as they will give you a good indication of rust.

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
That car judging by the paint colour (its not the normal BRG but a special) being metallic and the leather seats etc and the fact its an import by the slight pic of the rear panel will be a 1.8 as Japan did not have a 1.6 in 1996.
It looks like its a VR combination A -It should have green "Roadster" script in the seat around neck level.

That is a nice example and a nice special edition which should still have a torsion LSD.

Worth a little closer to 2k.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Morning All,

I'm currently scouring the market for a nice 1.8 mk1 and will be selling my 1.6 mk2.5. A few cars have come up that I'm interested in but not loads. Just wonder where else I should be looking other than auto-trader / eBay?

I'm looking to spend up to about 3k, so hoping this should bag me a fairly nice one? Having done some reading on here I will be going for a Eunos, ideally with an LSD.

My focus is to take my time and find a car I can keep, and maintain and modify forever!

Cheers in advance.

Pin.
It's a VR-Limited Combination B (800 made) and should have an LSD, Momo wheel, leather, speakers in headrests and (I think) Bilstein shocks too although not sure about this last bit and anyways they would most likely have been replaced after 14 years. The sister car is the Combination A (700 made) which is Merlot red with a tan/stone interior. One of the nicer Ltds IMHO. I saw this one on Autotrader when it first went up. The only thing that stopped me going for a look see was the mileage to view (274 mile round trip for me) and I am photo-obsessive and I'm sure I can see what looks like rot starting at the rear of the sill. It could be dirt but the rest of the car looks like it's had a clean so I talked myself out of it. That being said, I am probably completely wrong and I expect it's a minter

·
Registered
128 Posts

I agree but I've been looking myself for the last month properly (before that I was only skimming the 'net) and evidence on the ground is that many sellers are starting to push prices up, each sunny day makes my heart sink a bit TBH. This is not just dealers, it's private sellers too, many of whom also seem to be confusing the words "immaculate" and "snotter" which I guess is an easy mistake to make

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers everyone for your advice. You certainly are a knowledgeable lot! I went to view this yesterday evening and aside from a spot of rot on the sills (well spotted smithy!) it's pretty much mint...

The underside was VERY tidy and engine bay was very good too. It did still have the billstein shocks etc. and the green 'Roadster' logo on seats was present. General condition was overall much better than my UK mk2.5...

So.... I've bought it, after managing to knock a little off of the price because of the sills, which I expect I will have professionally sorted. All in all I'm very happy.

Hopefully be picking the car up at the weekend or early next week, so watch this space...

Cheers again chaps.
pin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.