Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi,

just bought myself a Mk1 1.8 which I intend to use on track (a bit) as well as road (mainly).

I'm thrilled with it, but the brakes are shot. I have new discs and pads for the rears (Pagid), but I'm looking for some new fast road front pads.

Of the ones listed, given they all cost about the same (£60-70) which would people go for?

Cheers!

RR

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Got Rodders pads in mine F&R.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, everyone seems to rate the Rodders ones. What's the bite and feel like? Not bothered if they're dusty, that's what alloy wheel cleaner's for!

Happy New Year!

Has anyone used any of the other ones? I'm thinking the Brembo Sport (reduced from £100 to £60) with the owner's club at the moment might also be a good bet. Apparently they are competitors for Ferodo DS2500's which at £120 are out of my price bracket.

Cheers, RR

·
The nutzer formerly known as Fenix
1,578 Posts
I've got the axxis on my road car which performed well on track but going to try rodders pads on dedicated track car because they are highly praised.

One thing I would advise though is get same pads for both axles. Originally I had axxis on front, normal on rear and the car really nose dived under braking.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
£20 pads from a motor factors are more than enough in mine, even on track, no fade, great bite etc.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interestingly, Rodders advised the same...not to counter nose dive, but to avoid locking the fronts up.

Hmmm. Well, I'm still struggling.

Here's some brembo sport HP2000 info for those who are interested:

·
Welshy!
1,746 Posts
I'm running Rodders pads on my mk2.

Ran them on my original 1.8 setup, and on my bigger sport brake setup. Fantastic pads to be fair, being used with OEM discs both times around and they are great.

Never let me down, from the word go they are awesome.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Interestingly, Rodders advised the same...not to counter nose dive, but to avoid locking the fronts up.

Hmmm. Well, I'm still struggling.

Here's some brembo sport HP2000 info for those who are interested:
oo that's pritty.

A name like brembo can sell valve dust caps for £100
Here there compairing themself to all there most rated competators. Oh alright then.. there compairing to just the red stuff with a serious lack of numerical data.

Walk away it says.

1144s were ok but the axis are better. My only gripe is how quickly they change there composeure under braking. They have a better winters morning bite, and as they warm they get better at a rate that means easing off the pedal concidderably during braking. Ultimate grip is much the same.

I'm due new one's this month. I might try rodders or fit axis again. The 1144s were a bit like blocks of wood off the track. They need heat.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
As advised above, get the same for both axles.

I've personally used axxis over 4 or 5 cars and many many TD's. Very happy with them. As a comparison I tried the Hawk 9012 'blue' that the US guys rave over but while they performed well they didn't last and the metallic dust was horrific.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys, I agree the brembo stuff looks thin on technical content and is marketing waffle. Mintex feel a bit 'dead' by all accounts. Axxis or Rodders? Well, I expect I'd be happy with either. Some say Axxis dust a fair bit, but as i said earlier, I'm not too bothered by that.

Ideally I'd go for the quietest (ie non-squealing) pads out of Rodders /Axxis.

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,394 Posts
I have Axxis ULTs on my diddy 1.6 discs at the moment. They are a huge improvement over standard road pads, if you can get hold of them. I have not found the dusting to be excessive and haven't had any squealing yet. Due to availability issues I will almost certainly be fitting a set of Rodders' pads next time.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I ran Rodders pads on road and track for years too, can't fault them. Great feel, great bite from cold, awesome when hot!

Good to see the Yellow's haven't even got a mention imo, all the pads listed already are in a different league in my mind - a much better league.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, that's awesome gen fellas, thanks for that. Pagid rears going back to ECP and I ordered F&R pads from Rodders today. Really looking forward to fitting them and ditching the rusty circles that are on there now.
Very may thanks to everyone for the help and advice.
RR

·
4 Speed, 4 Star
2,778 Posts
Really liked my 1144s -

Pros -
  • Great bite from cold.
  • Don't destroy discs.
  • Good price (fronts).
  • Easily available.
Cons -
  • Only lasted 1 year (12k miles and 1 track day) (Fronts)
  • Very squeaky at low speeds.
  • Expensive rears
  • Dusting - but you expect that.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Guess it's time someone mentioned Yellows (in a good way)

I've run them on a load of cars in the past on the road as well as on the track. Never managed to fade a set and love how long they last. Needless to say they're what I'll be putting on the Eunos once the current Axxis wear out.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I use my car mostly on track, a bit of road driving, based on that, my experiences:
Yellowstuff - ok, no fade. After about 3 track days the friction material split in half and separated from the backing plates.
Rodders pads - brilliant, fantastic stopping power, no fade, good feel and confidence inspiring. Couldn't get more than 2 track days and 1000-2000 odd road miles from a set of fronts.
Axxis ultimate - feel as good as Rodders pads but haven't had a full dry trackday yet to really start leaning on them and give a full review

All of those were also fine on the road from cold, never had issues there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.