Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Im new to the forum so i shall get straight to the point.
I am the proud owner of an MKii facelift mx5 1.6, the car runs great but it is lacking the power and I have had a look round the forum to see what upgrades I could do, I keep coming across turbocharger vs supercharger and honestly i would go the the turbo option but would be a job to do. I aslo came across acouple of engine swaps and i was wondering if anyone had done a swap to a bpt engine from the mazda 323 gtx.

If anyone has any knowledge on the swap please help and i already know it is awd just looking for information if its possible and what changes have to be done

Many thanks Jan

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
This gets asked at least once a month, so 1 do a search! 2, it's not really a viable swap for a variety of reasons, main ones being the bits you're interested in i.e. the turbo, manifold and downpipe are either very old hat or just plain useless.

The 323 is in a transverse application, the MX5 longtitudinal.

You can use the engine once you remove all the ancillaries, but then all you have is an MX5 engine with a crap head design

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking about this swap because it is and engine designed to the the pressure of a turbo and it will give me more or less the power i want out of it.

and i have been searching round other forums and it should be a direct fit due to the engine being the same series as the mx5 engine as said on the above comment its just a question of fitting the mx5 gear box getting it rwd and getting it in the chasis some other changes will have to be done such as intake manifold and a custom down pipe for the exhaust and a turbo is always replaceable what im interested in is and engine that can spend all day with the turbo spooled up and not complain

thanks for the info tho

·
Registered
217 Posts
The mx5 engines are all based on the bpt. The 1.6 in a mx is basically a bpt redesigned to be mounted the right way, the turbo removed and a better head. Mx5 lumps are essentially turbo engines without the turbo. They can easily take the pressure and are usually reliable up to and over 250bhp. There's absolutely no benefits to fitting a bpt over boosting the standard engine.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
As above. you have what you need anyway with the mx5 engine. All the other stuff like manifold, downpipe etc would need replacing or heavily modified to suit, which means you end up exactly where you started.

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
I was thinking about this swap because it is and engine designed to the the pressure of a turbo and it will give me more or less the power i want out of it.

and i have been searching round other forums and it should be a direct fit due to the engine being the same series as the mx5 engine as said on the above comment its just a question of fitting the mx5 gear box getting it rwd and getting it in the chasis some other changes will have to be done such as intake manifold and a custom down pipe for the exhaust and a turbo is always replaceable what im interested in is and engine that can spend all day with the turbo spooled up and not complain

thanks for the info tho
Yeah re read my response, the stock MX5 engine IS basically the BPT it has slightly weaker rods, but retains the oil squirters and the forged crank, it also has a miles better head flow wise.

I don't suppose in your searching you happened across the THOUSANDS of MX5/miata/roadster owners who were/are turbo/supercharged on the stock engine did you?

Seriously your swap idea is a complete waste of time, you'd current standard engine will do what you want. The BPT is only marginally stronger, but you won't make any more power than with the B6/BP the MX5 is fitted with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks on the info guys it was just an idea i had to get more power from the car without having to eat away at the firewall for an sr20 or something among those lines just thought it would be simpler to swap the engine than to get it turboed

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
Thanks on the info guys it was just an idea i had to get more power from the car without having to eat away at the firewall for an sr20 or something among those lines just thought it would be simpler to swap the engine than to get it turboed
It's far simpler to turbo the stock engine than it is to pretty much any engine swap

Far FAR simpler!

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
yup. what are you struggling to understand matey? SR20 is a massive conversion, whilst bolting on a manifold and a couple of oil lines is pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks, it was more of a silly idea than anything else but still wanting more power so ive gone for the turbo option using my stock engine and after a whole lot of searching and emails i decided to go with the voodoo ii from flyin miata which will give me more or less the power i want and is a better option than any swap.

I also found out that my 1.6 diff wont be up for the pounding it would recieve from the upgrade and the majority who have this problem swap it for the 1.8 diff prop shaft and drive shafts, my only question on this is does the diff have to be a limited slip or a standard open diff of a 1.8 would do the job hope someone can shed some light on this

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.