Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to get drivers side rear sill (+ front of the rear arch) sorted properly + a front bumper respray.

Got 1 quote today from a local place that was recommended - over a grand!

Can anyone suggest any good bodyshops in Sussex that are reasonable on costs? If I can find somewhere decent I've got a small job on the 328i daily driver that I'd also get done.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Washington coachworks worked on my car after the crash. Neil (the owner) was really helpful and apart from the guys at WiM I've never come across another garage like this that treated their customers properly and with respect. The job they did was perfect (and the colour of my car is one that's hard to match)

I shouldn't imagine it will be a cheap job though, you could check out what they would quote

http://washingtoncoaches.auto.officelive.com/default.aspx

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Need to get drivers side rear sill (+ front of the rear arch) sorted properly + a front bumper respray.

Got 1 quote today from a local place that was recommended - over a grand!

Can anyone suggest any good bodyshops in Sussex that are reasonable on costs? If I can find somewhere decent I've got a small job on the 328i daily driver that I'd also get done.
Jesus they quoted you a GRAND!!!!!!!!!! When I was involved in a rear end shunt and Mazda dealer wanted ?3800 to fix it, they charged me less than 2K!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, here are a couple of pics of the rear arch (the other side's been done at some point & is fine)

The car as a whole is pretty clean, it's just the o/s/r arch & the stonechipped front bumper that let it down:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
9,290 Posts
Id recommend Garath for the job mate. I am sure he can sort the welding out for you.

If you need someone afterwards to do any spray work I now a decent professional sprayer who will do panels for between 100-150 pounds depending on what work needs doing and how busy he is!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been to see Gareth today & he'll be fitting a new sill/arch ready for painting
- Ordered the new panel this evening.

Gareth will probably be updating this thread with pics of the job in progress once we've got a suitable date for the job, so we'll see how it unfolds...

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
I carried out the welding work on this car today, so here are the pictures

so, this is how it looked before I started

and as I suspected, it had been filled in the past

blister higher up was not to bad underneath though

a bit more investigation at the front, where the seam should be

then I cut the outer wing/sill away, you can see a big dollop of filler on the left hand side

close up of filler dollop

now we can see the extent of the rust to the inner sill

ah, thats where that screw and nut went

rusty area cut out

Surface rust on box section behind anti rust treated

new section welded in

outer wing cut to accept replacement panel, the area of minor rust higher up the wing has also been cut out

area anti rust treated

then painted for protection, holes also drilled to allow air to circulate

and finally the outer panel is welded into place

note how the original seams have been re-created.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
top job - thanks again Gareth

Shouldn't have any probs with the MOT now! -then just need to get the fuelling sorted + get the rear sill & front bumper resprayed

9,290 Posts
Nice work Garath, makes me wonder if I should have kept my old RS as sure you could have turned it around.

Cheers

James.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Bloody brilliant work. Thanks for posting - really interesting as mine is gone both sides. MoT next month so we shall see. Glad you got it sorted Matt and looks like Gareths previous work on his has paid dividends. Well done.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.