Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered if anyone's got bmw mini alloys on their mx5? same pcd and bigger bore, so should fit fine.

Few on ebay going really cheap, what's people's opinions on 16's on a mk1? will they effect the handling badly?

the 2 types are 15" by 5.5j or 16 by 7j which would be best? or should i just forget it.

the 15's: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280487741650&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

the 16's: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290421921601&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

(hope the links work!)

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
They d need spigot rings to fit the 5 and afaic, oem wheels dont give you the possibility of using spigot rings.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah ok, so how could oem wheels not let you use spigot rings? or do they?

got 14" bbs wheels at the moment and they're just too small!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Mini wheels weigh an absolute ton - you're welcome to come and have a lift of one of mine. I really wouldn't bother with them though

·
Registered
398 Posts
i think they would look poo.. but since as far as i know it has never been done i think you should totally go for it! 16x7 would be best, 5.5j would be weak ass. Ben

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
So are spiggot rings not really needed?
Ive got a set of OZ records that were on my 2.0 nova, brand new yokos on them, and only havent fitted them as the centre bore is too big, would i be ok running them for a bit until i get spiggot rings?
Where would i get some from?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
you don't need spigot rings if you have sleeved nuts like revolutions etc. but with normal nuts I wouldn't fit without them.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I don't know anything about fitment and spigot rings etc, but those Mini wheels in the first link could look quite cool on a MK1 '5 IMHO

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked on one of the wheel weights list on here and they said the 16's weigh 9.1 kgs, I didn't think that was bad?

only thought I'd try it coz they're so cheap. put mazda center caps on and I don't think they'd look to stupid, maybe even good.

its either that or save up for some nice 15 inch 5 spokes.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Isn't that about 20 lbs? By comparison the OEM 17" rim for the Mk3 is 17 lbs.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I don't know anything about fitment and spigot rings etc, but those Mini wheels in the first link could look quite cool on a MK1 '5 IMHO
if they weren't so skinny you'd be bang on.

5.5kgs isn't heavy for a 15 I don't think - then again if they were wider they'd weigh a fair bit more.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeh, it is a shame they're so narrow i really think the 15's would look good but going narrower than my bbs's isn't really an option! want to be wider!

think i'll have to just keep my eye's out for something else. hopefully win on the national tomorrow too!

must say thanks for all the opinions / recommendations though! fairly new nutzer and this forum's great!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts