Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can someone tell me please why after replacing the clutch slave last night and bleeding it i had to keep pumping it to get a good solid pedal

i would have though after bleeding the pedal would be solid straight away just like bleeding the brake system

i was bleeding and bleeding it (my girlfriend pumped the pedal >hold it down pump it up i know that bit< =) but couldnt get a solid pedal .. with the nipple closed if she kept pumping the pedal would get stif

am i missing something

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Still air in the system by the sounds of it.

Is the master cylinder ok? Both my cylinders went at the same time. Tell tale sign was seepage down on to the footrest inside the car.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Mine did exactly the same as yours. Found out the master had gone too.

Make sure its bled with the cap off. If it wont bleed do this...

Get someone to put their foot on the clutch pedal and hold it all the way down.
As they do this, watch the fluid in the reservoir go down. If it slowly rises, without them moving their foot. Then the master has gone too.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
This might sound totally stupid, but I did it once... The clutch uses a separate reservoir to the brakes on the mx5, I didn't realise so got really confused when the level in the reservoir wasn't going down and the clutch was getting worse! Haha

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
Got lucky with mine as i was 100 miles from home when they gave up the ghost with no tools so got Mr AA man to replace & bleed them. I just made the coffee & pumped the pedal.

·
erk alors el blast from th&#39; past dude
4,480 Posts
Since you should now have clean fluid in the system and if you are bleeding it the correct way no air
in the slave. Try a little trick wedge down the clutch pedal and go for a coffee when you come back
about 20 minutes later carefully release the pedal. The slave should purge any air that is in the upper
part of the line wait a couple of minutes then give it a good pump and see if its any better?

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Unlock the nipple, push the pedal down, lock the nipple, lift the padal up, repeat untill solid, if you leave the nipple open when you go up and down it allows air in and you wont ger a pedal, once you have locked the nipple, pump the pedal up.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Unlock the nipple, push the pedal down, lock the nipple, lift the padal up, repeat untill solid, if you leave the nipple open when you go up and down it allows air in and you wont ger a pedal, once you have locked the nipple, pump the pedal up.

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
Put a very long clear vac line on the slave. Join to a vac port on the manifold and run engine. Crack open nipple and watch fluid get pulled through... stop before too much gets to the end of the line... works every time and on your own. Works on brakes too.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Put a very long clear vac line on the slave. Join to a vac port on the manifold and run engine. Crack open nipple and watch fluid get pulled through... stop before too much gets to the end of the line... works every time and on your own. Works on brakes too.
Like the vac port removing the carbon canister frees up? Genius idea!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.