Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i had my old bold, think it was a 9000? Anyway that broke so i bought a cheap iphone 3g to tide me over. Last night i arranged a new contract and have ordered the bold 9790. It arrives tomorrow. However when i was on holiday a friend i met out there had a different blackberry, the one with the carbon fibre (look?) back to it. I thought this was a cool looking phone and seemed quite good to use as well.

So my question is which is the better, faster phone? Because if they are the same i think i'd prefer the one my friend has and i'll just send back the 9790 and get the other one. I realise this is probably garbled and not making much sense but i'm also uploading my CD collection to itunes while i'm writing this so my brain is pretty fried! Any advice will be appreciated.

Cheers, James.

·
Registered
17,701 Posts
One of my colleagues got a 9790 last week...and i still don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy one.

Do you seriously like having to push alt, in between every single number you want when dialling someone? Do the right thing, sack the lot off and go and get yourself an iPhone 4S.

Why anyone would pick a blackberry these days is beyond me...unless your a brain addled 20 something, whose friends are all on BBM. (use text messages morons)

·
Spinning around
3,557 Posts
Do you seriously like having to push alt, in between every single number you want when dialling someone?
None of my BB's have required this?

I have a BB because the battery life is 5x better than most touchscreen phones and I'm not bothered about apps.

·
Registered
17,701 Posts
The 9790 does...there is no number row on the keyboard..so to dial a number it's alt-0 alt-1 alt-5 alt-0 alt-9 and so on and so on, by the time you've finished dialling it would have been quicker to drive to the persons house and hand them the message engrained in calligraphy on parchment and sealed with wax.

And if you aren't bothered about apps, why the hell have you got a blackberry? You just need a regular non smartphone phone if thats the case...this isn't me being an arse...this is me wondering why any sane person would want one, when everything else out there pretty much dicks on it in every category.

It's like being given the choice of owning for free, an mx-5 an mr-2 or an MGF, and grabbing the keys to the MGF straight away...

·
Spinning around
3,557 Posts
There is no number row on my keyboard either. The software knows that you dialling a number when you press the call button.
Name me a phone with a better battery life and I might change. After all, even the most gadget-packed phone is useless if it has no charge (which used to frequently happen to me when 'in the field').

·
Registered
17,701 Posts
well if it did, then it hadn't got a clue that i was dialling number on it last week, after said colleague dropped it in spaghetti hoops and i had to try and clean the mic out with a paperclip/drawing pin.

There are plenty of phones with better battery life than the blackberry..probably 70%+ of dumbphones. But whatever, you've made your choice and your happy with it. I'm glad i've never ever got to support one of those horrendous things ever again in this office.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers guys, never had a problem with my old blackberry to be honest. Apart from the fact it just stopped working one day that is! But i've been looking online and it seems that vodafone are being tight so i'm gonna send the 9790 back and threaten to leave, see if i can't blag myself an iphone. On the subject of iphones, if i can't swing a 4s is the 4 that much worse?? Consider i will be coming from a battered 3g which has been messed around with and is on a constant go slow!

·
Registered
17,701 Posts
iphone 4 is about adequate now...will get old quite quickly tho. ios 6 might slow it down a touch later this year!

but camera does HD, other than that the 4s is just twice as powerful. screen is still amazing..i'd say if you can get a 4 on an 18 month contract

Make sure to get a case of some kind tho

·
Tesco Value chicken fucker
3,735 Posts
One of my colleagues got a 9790 last week...and i still don't know why anyone in their right mind would buy one.

Do you seriously like having to push alt, in between every single number you want when dialling someone? Do the right thing, sack the lot off and go and get yourself an iPhone 4S.

Why anyone would pick a blackberry these days is beyond me...unless your a brain addled 20 something, whose friends are all on BBM. (use text messages morons)
Do people actually have a phone to call someone these days? I thought they were just watch replacements.

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
For the most part people just use them as an excuse not interact with real life.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the blackberry arrived today, i just sent it straight back with the dpd delivery man. I phoned vodafone and i have to wait until they have the phone back until i can re-negotiate my contract with them. I have been with them for four or five years now, have two phone lines with them and always pay the bill on time. No loyalty being shown from them at all. I may well leave. Could be starting another thread soon asking for where people got the best deals on their contracts!!

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Definitely going for an iphone now. Found some deals on the net where i can get a 4 at the same price i'm paying for my current contract (?25) or a 4s for an extra six pound a month! Vodafone had better pull their finger out when i phone them next week...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts