Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a N reg 1.6 and a R reg 1.6. I believe both have the 90bhp engine. Any visual check to see if they are both 90bhp?

However, the R reg engine seems to sit further towards the bulkhead than the N reg one. I can tell as the coilpack is closer to the bulkhead than the other.

Anyone know why? Puzzled me....

· Registered
607 Posts
Only the 1.8cc was made for the Jap market from 1993 onwards, the detuned 1.6cc was just for europe, are you sure they are both 1.6's?
M-m

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pretty sure yeah. Neither are imported.

· Oh, hai!
4,970 Posts
Pictures. No point us guessing without them.

Incidentally, 1.6s and 1.8s are easily distinguished by looking at the airbox crossover pipe. On the 1.6, it curves under the top radiator hose, on the 1.8 it runs straight across the top. 1.8s are also physically longer than the 1.6, although I imagine that should be more noticeable at the front of the engine rather than the back.

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is the only one I have of the R reg before it was fully dismantled. Will get a picture of the N reg later. Crossover pipe is the same on both however.

· Registered
482 Posts
as far as i'm aware the engine code will resolve this. other then that look for tell tail signs that its a uk model, number plate pannel, catback with a mid silencer, sun visors etc, these are things ive noticed different about my P reg uk 1.6 compared to others

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe they arw both judging by there being no import parts.

I just cant figure out why the R reg engine sits about an inch further back.

· Oh, hai!
4,970 Posts
Wait. Is one an auto? I'm wondering if the auto 'box is slightly longer...

· Registered
2,299 Posts
If your power frame and gearbox are sitting just a little lower they will tilt the engine back just a tad. This may give the visual effect that the engine is sitting further back. Lifting the box and frame will have the reverse

· Registered
623 Posts
Its not an auto.

Maybe that is the answer.

Either way, the engine in the R reg is going into my N reg at the weekend. Time will tell the reason why it sits further back.

Are all engine mounts the same?

· Registered
9,546 Posts
Should both be 90s as you expect.

It's the same gearbox in the same place. The engine can only sit ahead of it. The extra length of the 1.8 is all at the front towards the radiator.

· Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pefect, thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.