Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
141 - 143 of 143 Posts

·
Internationally Unrenowned
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
So not too much going on with the 5. Gave it a wash and a coolant change



Got some stuff planned. Other than 2 new front tyres I have found a small hole in the floor/sill area. Further back than where the front sill repairs were done. Fairly small, so going to cut that out and weld in some fresh metal this weekend hopefully. Also noticed some scabby metal in the driver's side front arch, roughly below where the brake booster sits. I'll buzz that back and take a look at it as well.

In other news the Yaris is being sold, need to free up some money and get a super boring cheap daily for a few months. So that's going to my uncle tomorrow, and I'm picking up the dullest vehicle of all time to replace it. A 2004 2.0 diesel Ford CMAX Ghia. I really couldn't say no, it's my mate's car, has 5 months MOT, runs and drives, £250. Also comes with a full tank of diesel which is worth close to £100 right now haha. It needs new discs and pads very soon, but it'll do as a daily for now, 50 odd MPG will do me just fine, and probably weigh it in come MOT time.

I do have plans for a stupid daily this autumn/winter if I can manage to put aside a bit of money for it. I want something old, older than the Bluebird was. Something you really don't see anymore, I'm thinking Mk1 Cavalier/Chevette saloon. MX-5 engine and box. Something along those lines. I have the workshop for it, I can pick up a breaker and pull out the full loom and run entirely MX-5 electrics if needed. Could be interesting!
 

·
Internationally Unrenowned
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
So today I decided it was time to take a closer look at that small hole in the floor/sill area, and deal with any remaining rust underneath. I had previously undersealed a few of the clean areas, but hadn't bothered in the areas I thought might have some issues. I knew the hole I'd seen was going to be a little bit worse when I buzzed it back. Honestly it wasn't horrendous, and inside the sill was still solid, but I started out just peeling off the outer-most layer of decade old underseal.

Bit grim:



Got a little bigger after I went at it with a wire wheel on the grinder:



Started buzzing back other areas. Here's the floorpan under the driver's feet area:



And from the inside:



Not ideal, but is what it is. I carried on with the wire wheel and found this grim chassis rail too (near the front):



And one tiny little spot on the passenger side floor:



Anyway, back to the original rust hole. I cut it back until I got to good metal on all sides:



I cleaned it up and filed it down a bit after this to get it nice and square. I had the rear wing panels I never used after we took the sills from them, so I am using them for cuts for this work. I made a patch up out of cardboard, then cut it out in steel.

The welder took a little bit of messing about with to get a nice tack out of it, but got there in the end. Welded the fresh steel in, then buzzed the welds back. Took the kick plates off and looked through the holes as I went. Mainly to check for fire, as there is cavity wax in there and that likes to go up very easily. Luckily no fire, and as I went eventually no daylight could be seen, so it's welded up nicely all the way around.



Never done any bodywork or thin chassis work before, so I'm quite happy with the result.

Let it cool down, seam sealed over the welds, and sprayed a decent amount of cavity wax inside to coat the inside of the repair. Once the seam sealer was set I went over the entire sill section I had buzzed back in underbody primer:



Then a decent coat of stone chip. Decided against that bitumen based stuff, Waxoyl and the like, I really hate it. It never seems to be dry and it's so messy. A decent stone chip protection and it was done:



1 hole down, 3 to go, will carry on tomorrow. But it feels good to be getting the old underseal off and really taking a good look at the underside, as there are so many areas that can rust, not just the outer sills and arches. Will have the main floorpan and underbody mint in the next week or so.
 

·
Internationally Unrenowned
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
So, cracked on with the next rust hole today. Driver's footwell, this one:



Gave it another buzz with the wire wheel, and it was a little wider spread than the initial hole, as it usually is. So I cut it back to clean metal:



It wasn't nice to weld up, very thin metal on the floor. I realised after starting I'd been using 0.8 wire the entire time, so changed the tip and wire to 0.6 and it did help a bit. Getting a good earth took a bit of doing, but it's done now.

Welded up, seam sealed, primered, and undercoated.



Did the inside the same as well, probably a bit OTT, but I wanted both sides properly protected from day one:



Slowly getting there with the floorpan now, should have the other 2 holes welded up in the next week, and I'll then wire wheel back all the other underseal to check for anything else. Overall pretty happy with progress.
 
141 - 143 of 143 Posts
Top