121 - 127 of 127 Posts

·
Internationally Unrenowned
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can I ask about your paint colour? Did you have a code?

I'm going for Old English White with some additional touches (cat's out of the bag now, don't really know why I've been keeping it a secret) and the closest I can find to My Vision(tm) is a 71-75 E-Type colour but even that is a little darker than I'd like. In some of your pictures (the one with the neons and one with the new mirrors) yours looks pretty close to what I'm after but I think in reality it has more yellow in it than I want.
Anyway, I know lighting, camera, screen etc changes everything but I am curious!

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
Can I ask about your paint colour? Did you have a code?

I'm going for Old English White with some additional touches (cat's out of the bag now, don't really know why I've been keeping it a secret) and the closest I can find to My Vision(tm) is a 71-75 E-Type colour but even that is a little darker than I'd like. In some of your pictures (the one with the neons and one with the new mirrors) yours looks pretty close to what I'm after but I think in reality it has more yellow in it than I want.
Anyway, I know lighting, camera, screen etc changes everything but I am curious!
Hey man, yeah it's Toyota Ivory 4E7, it's an old Toyota colour used on various 80s models. It is a strange colour that looks very different depending on the light. In sunlight I suppose it is somewhat similar to Old English White, but sometimes it does have a slightly more beige/yellow look to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey man, yeah it's Toyota Ivory 4E7, it's an old Toyota colour used on various 80s models. It is a strange colour that looks very different depending on the light. In sunlight I suppose it is somewhat similar to Old English White, but sometimes it does have a slightly more beige/yellow look to it.
Amazing, thank you for that. I'll look into it!
Much appreciated.

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
Bloody hell, 6 months without an update haha.

Car is still all good, absolutely love it, done a few bits, had a few issues, nothing major though.

So as some of you know I got a Bluebird in the summer, been driving around in that as a "daily" (22mpg is not good for a daily). I have a 1 car driveway but no one else in the block has complained about this arrangement for 6 months so it's all good I guess haha:

Given how low the 5 is and how high the Bluebird was, you could literally park it underneath the Bluebird for maximum use of space:

In classic me style I couldn't leave the Bluebird alone and it got lowered a fair amount recently:

Anyway, back to the 5. As I say not much going on, had a progressively worse rumble noise on the front, was sure it was wheel bearing, and was quite pleased to see that front hubs with bearing were available as a fit and forget part from MX5Parts for like £35, so I got that sorted:

Mint:

Still need to do the passenger side one, but the noise is gone, driver's side was the issue. Had no play in at all, but the noise was getting horrible, like a flat tyre.

I was driving to my workshop recently and the clutch went, well, weird. Like nothing I had experienced. It messed up a bit on the dual carriageway, then started working again, albeit returning the pedal very stiffly and abruptly which made traffic a nuisance on that journey. Got most of the way there and the pedal went absolutely rock hard when lifted, however the clutch was acting as though the pedal was still fully down. Having cars behind me I stamped on the pedal hard, and well that was that haha. Pedal went full flaccid, and was totally non-functional. So I waited for my mate to recover me. Now it's not a tilt and slide, but he's a genius with planks of wood, so we got the car on without a single scrape of the underside, not bad at all!

Anyway I noticed a fair amount of brake fluid on the road under the car. So it turns out that one of the slave cylinder bolts backed completely out, this then jogged my memory that I heard a metallic noise under the car earlier in the journey, so that explains it. Anyway with 1 bolt somehow managing to back out the slave was on a single pivot point, and had tipped forwards 45 degrees, though just managing to keep the pin pressed on the clutch fork and working. Obviously it gave up, and when I stamped on the pedal it had literally blown the piston right out of the slave cylinder and lost all clutch pressure. I popped it back in, slave was completely undamaged, it had just essentially disassembled itself. Got a spare bolt out of the bolts box, did a quick clutch bleed with a mate (the single braided line makes this a super quick and easy job btw, highly recommend!) and it's mint again. Weird one, I know I definitely did them up, so no idea how one managed to back out, I'll be keeping an eye on that for sure.

Other than that it died on a busy roundabout, wouldn't re-start, and my mate towed me about 7 miles to the workshop, with a tow rope, in a 1 litre K11 Micra. It's not the first time that mighty Micra has helped a stranded car like this, it's a real trooper that thing! Honestly not an experience I want to endure again, in the rain, the brakes are frankly horrendous with no engine power, and I generally did not have a good time. But we made it and I didn't rear end him, so it's all good. No idea at all what the issue was, within 20 minutes of being back at the workshop the bloody thing started up mint and has run fine since. I changed the plugs as I had some spares, but that almost certainly wasn't the issue. Plugs looked ok tbh:

I'm thinking it may be related to CAS or coilpack, so I'm going to get a spare of each just in case, for when the current ones decided to die.

Other than that it's been a fairly quiet few months, gave it some washes, drove it, good car!

I have a work bonus coming in at the end of this month, want to get the Bluetooth module bought for the tablet install I set up last year, sort some custom door cards and red rear deck carpet, get some Piper Cams, build the 4.7 diff, and get some adjustable rear arms so I can bring that camber in without having any rub issues. That's the plans for it now anyway, will be fantastic once all those are done, though will likely be a little while until it's all sorted.

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
Maybe go for COPS? Cheaper than a new coil pack :)
Yeah I could go COPS, though tbh I would never buy a new coilpack or CAS anyway haha, over £300 for each on MX5Parts, I'd likely just buy an entire spare engine with them on, or just get one off a mate for a few quid. I think the next step for the engine will be cams and adjustable pulleys, though I do have an unfinished interior to sort too haha.

Reactions: guitaristanime
121 - 127 of 127 Posts