Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
I've got a cheapy rack a bit like thishttp://www.amazon.co.uk/eSecure-Universal-Double-Cycle-Carrier/dp/B005C3F474/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1357245830&sr=8-6

Just rest it flat on the bootlid (so the arms are pointing directly up), attach the straps on the bootlid edges so it's not going anywhere. I've wrapped the rack with bubble wrap where the bikes rest on it (i.e. not where they were designed to). You could add extra straps to make it more secure. I have a spoiler which helps but you could try it without. I wouldn't put more than 2 light bikes on it though.

I usually just put my racing bike in the passenger seat, with the wheels off it's no problem. Have done it with a mtb too but the handlebars have to come off really.

Saris Bones have good reviews but I've had no problems with this cheap solution.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah thanks guys. So it is possible. As I ride a lot I was thinking that an mx5 is going to be a bit short of room. But now that solves the problem. Thanks for the link and brand names. I've had a look at them and will be purchasing a bike rack this weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm about to buy a Mk 2.5 MX5 but the prospect of not being able to take my bike with me could be a deal-breaker.

I've read about the available racks but I'm not sure whether the saris bones or the hollywood f1 would be able to take my SX Trail (it's an unusual frame design http://www.specialized.com/ca/en/bikes/archive/2009/sxtrail/sxtraili ). There is also the problem of the bootlid being damaged with heavier bikes, is this also the case with the 2.5 or just the mk1?

It seems that the best option would be to install a tow bar just for use with a bike rack. I was wondering how legal this is though? I know that the mk2 isn't supposed to tow anything but is it still an insurance problem if the tow bar is never used for towing?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.