Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all,

Just wondering. My SV-T on OEM 16's is going to be due some new treads sooner or later.

The standard size seems to be 205/45/16

Can I put 205/55/16 or other sizes on without having problems? Just seems that the 45's are about 80% more expensive than 55's.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did look that up. The speedo is out by enough for the bigger sidewalls to level it out to being accurate!

I do fancy the idea of some Enkei 15's though.

·
Detects stupidity. Attacks without mercy.
13,356 Posts
I like the ride on my 16's (also on 205/45/16) but like you say, it makes me wince when i buy new ones - they cost the same as the tyres on my 17's! (205/40/17)
If you want to keep the rolling radius the same you could try 215/40/16. I did a few years back and found they tramlined a bit more. Cant remember if there was much of a price difference.

*edit - no price benefit on camskills on toyos

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ridiculous isn't it.

I wouldn't mind tram-lining to be honest, it would make a pelasant change to the twitchiness I get at the moment. But I think that's more down to the geo, which I'm getting checked and put to Mazda-spec ASAP, just in case.

As it happens, Goodyear have officially canned the F1's too, so it doesn't matter what size, I'll never get a full set now

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
yeah 16's have always been far more expensive. its silly.
i have a set of 16's but they came with excellent T1R's fitted. they're actually different front/rear, with 215/45 on the back and 195/40 on the front. no idea why. the guy before had a stupidly well sorted car so i think this was just his setup, and it seemed to work well. it handled beautifully.

i would likely not replace the tyres if i had to though - im just going to wear them out and then i'll sell them on rather than replace the tyres.

15's are available from anywhere and are silly cheap.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Slimmer front tyres eh?
Hadn't considered it but that would probably quell my fear of unprovoked and pedestrian oversteer!

(seriously, there's an on-ramp from M25 to M11 that I don't think I could do at more than, say, 50, without fear of becoming part of the armco. This is just one example)

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
that ramp is FUN. do it at about 80 in a car you've just picked up, and thus, dont really know very well. it's hilarious.

that was me when collecting my mk2.5 the other day. it does have gaz coilovers however so it was quite enjoyable.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm pretty sure if I tried it at 80, only 1 of 2 things will happen.

1) The slip road will become closed for several hours while an MX-5 is recovered
2) The M11 cameras will show a listerine-blue MX-5 merging from the M25 backwards

Need to get a set of Sport Bilsteins I think, might help.

·
Japanese for a Reason
515 Posts
Slimmer front tyres eh?
Hadn't considered it but that would probably quell my fear of unprovoked and pedestrian oversteer!

(seriously, there's an on-ramp from M25 to M11 that I don't think I could do at more than, say, 50, without fear of becoming part of the armco. This is just one example)
Is this the on ramp on the M11 to Cambridge Or to London?.
If it is to Cambridge, I can do that long tight left hander at 80mph and still accelerate out of it.

Running stock geo, TA Technics coils, Toyo TR1

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, that's the on ramp, used to be a no-brainier in the Clio but, and it might just be me being a big wuss, but this SV-T gives no confidence even at pedestrian speeds.

Geometry is on the list for next week though, fingers crossed it'll sort things out nicely

·
Japanese for a Reason
515 Posts
Its not about you being a wuss, you need confidence in a car and if it does not give you the correct feedback than its better to be on the cautious side.

Geo first by someone how knows an MX5 chassis

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
there are a few drainage holes on that bit of road, and lots of white paint, so it wouldnt be difficult to put a foot wrong. plus, if it did go wrong, you dont have much space to correct it.

still, it's hilarious

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.