Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be completely subjective, but then again may not. I'm still hunting for my first MX5 (will probably be a Mk2 of, say, 2002 - 2005 vintage) and wondered which is the best stock Mazda colour from a 'matching' point of view. I have no particular preference from an aesthetic perspective; I would just like to know the colour that is likely to remain looking good for the longest time. On the same topic, is it the case that blemishes in metallic paint are more difficult to blend in than with non-metallic?
Thanks.

· The Small One!
884 Posts
This may be completely subjective, but then again may not. I'm still hunting for my first MX5 (will probably be a Mk2 of, say, 2002 - 2005 vintage) and wondered which is the best stock Mazda colour from a 'matching' point of view. I have no particular preference from an aesthetic perspective; I would just like to know the colour that is likely to remain looking good for the longest time. On the same topic, is it the case that blemishes in metallic paint are more difficult to blend in than with non-metallic?
Thanks.
2002-2005 would be a Mk2.5

Red tends to be the worst of the colours as far as fading goes; Black does a good job of holding out well though

Will you be blending your own paints in? Or taking it to a shop?

Personally, go for the one you think looks nicest.

· Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Jay,
I figure that even if I am lucky enough to find a blemish and bubble-free car from the outset, sooner or later (probably sooner!) I will need to do some touching-up here and there. The worst case, financially, is that I will have to get paintwork done professionally. Also, if the vehicle I end up with doesn't have a hardtop, I would deffo need to get it resprayed to match.So, I just wondered if all finishes would elicit from said professional the old: 'Cor, mate, this is going to cost ya; you couldn't have picked a worse colour'!!

· finds titles too "mainstream"
5,156 Posts
Heh you'll get that from all of them, but if you get red then they'll actually mean it.

· The Small One!
884 Posts
Thanks, Jay,
I figure that even if I am lucky enough to find a blemish and bubble-free car from the outset, sooner or later (probably sooner!) I will need to do some touching-up here and there. The worst case, financially, is that I will have to get paintwork done professionally. Also, if the vehicle I end up with doesn't have a hardtop, I would deffo need to get it resprayed to match.So, I just wondered if all finishes would elicit from said professional the old: 'Cor, mate, this is going to cost ya; you couldn't have picked a worse colour'!!
I guess some of the more rare colours, such as crystal blue/splash green etc, would be similar - but if you love the colour you'd probably be happier to spend the extra on it

The girlfriend just had a panel of her crystal blue resprayed and it cost the same as if it was any other colour, however!

· Registered
2,746 Posts
Just go for a base colour, not a metalic if you want to do home spray work. A good paint shop should be able to match the colour well using (for example) the fuel cap as reference.

No matter how clean your car is, going to paint shops with paint codes on cars which are 20 years old is just asking for trouble.

· Registered
1,112 Posts
Just go for a base colour, not a metalic if you want to do home spray work. A good paint shop should be able to match the colour well using (for example) the fuel cap as reference.

No matter how clean your car is, going to paint shops with paint codes on cars which are 20 years old is just asking for trouble.
Agree as solid colours as opposed to metallics are easier to work on at home.
However mine is Chaste white which should have beed an easy match but had to have the paint mixed specially as three attempts with off the shelf rattle cans of the correct code etc were all wrong.
Life is never easy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.