Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mate who wants to buy a mk2 / 2.5, he asked me which model in these mk's was the best to buy, obviously I told him 'the mk1'!!
but he said he wanted the newer shape, anyway I said I would ask the experts
So, if money was no option which mk2 or mk2.5 model would you go for?
Barry

·
~
15,498 Posts
Doesn't really matter to be honest as anything that's missing spec wise can be retro-fitted, with the exception of aircon maybe. It's best to have a clean standard car than a tatty special.

I terms of UK cars standout models are the 10th Anniversary, Red & Blue Sports and Mk2 Icon if he wants creamy/tan interior. I'm not really a fan of the Jasper Conran edition.

For Mk2.5 I'd only look at the 1.8 6-speed Sport models, but other nice ones are the Arctic (aircon as standard) and Euphonic (upgraded stereo as standard)

If he's looking at imports then the RS and other models based on it are worthy of a mention

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Andy, I will pass this on to him.

Barry

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
The least rusty one you can find, ie the freshest import.

Just been working on a 99 and pretty much every bolt was siezed and all the 10mm ones sheared off.

Mk2's use far inferior bolts to Mk1's.

I have an 04 in for a sill replacement yet my 94 is only just starting to bubble.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The 10 AE stood out for me amongst the UK Mk 2 cars - 1,800 cc engine, 6 speed box, torsen diff, front strut brace and bilsteins as standard, and a nice colour and interior. That's at least 2 mods I don't have to buy, retrofit and declare on my insurance that I would have to on another Mk 2.

·
Registered
7,972 Posts
1.8iS has a few nice mods as standard.

TorSen, light sport 15 inch wheels, ABS, sportier Nardi airbag wheel and a few other subtle mods.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
The 10 AE stood out for me amongst the UK Mk 2 cars - 1,800 cc engine, 6 speed box, torsen diff, front strut brace and bilsteins as standard, and a nice colour and interior. That's at least 2 mods I don't have to buy, retrofit and declare on my insurance that I would have to on another Mk 2.
of course i'll have to agree with this, being a 10AE owner.

·
Registered
440 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Arizona is a good spec for a non-Sport Mk2.5 - leather, Nardi wheel, LSD (1.8 only iirc), upgraded stereo, a few nice silver bits....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts