Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bit of a query for WIGMFM (When I Get My First MX5). My normal routine is 2 months in the UK followed by 2 months abroad, recurring. With my current banger (ancient Rover 216 - sorry!!) I always disconnect the battery and give it a good charge before departure from the UK, and when I return I just need to reconnect and recode the radio - a 5 minute job at most. What I would like to know is: will things be quite as simple WIGMFM? Can the vehicle be left with no power connected and without incurring a major recoding requirement? Would the fitting of an Optimiser be advisable?
Will be most grateful for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Which MK you thinking of getting?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I've had my mk2.5 parked up for a few months and got in and the car has started fine, without disconnecting the battery. I think provided the battery is decent and there aren't any significant drains they will hold for a good while. If you want, you can just buy a battery isolator switch which you just wire into your main power leads and it's simply a case of turning and removing, a lot quicker and easier.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1311&_nkw=battery+isolator+switch&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I don't think the radios are coded in these but I may be mistaken and stand to be corrected.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for that. Can anyone else help out in regard to the possibility of losing codes, of any sort, or any other potential probs, if the battery is isolated for a couple of months? Elsewhere on this great site there are numerous horror stories concerning battery performance and battery failure, so it would appear to be an area fraught with danger. Expert advice sorely needed!!
Cheers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.