Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Turn it UP!!!
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time I really stuck my head underneath the car and I noticed one of my rails took a bashing from the previous owner
(sorry for the bad pics, it all I could take.

P5 do a SportDrive Frame Rail Reinforcement Kit, has anyone had this fitted?

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Non-structural, they are their to prevent 'drumming' of the floorpan as much as anything.

Heard it said they are caused by newly imported cars being moved by fork lift truck around docks due to flat batteries - sounds plausible as it seems to be more prevalent on Roadsters.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Heard it said they are caused by newly imported cars being moved by fork lift truck around docks due to flat batteries - sounds plausible as it seems to be more prevalent on Roadsters.
You won't do that with a forklift no matter how rough you are with the '5.

You can however bash the mirrors off/doors in by driving it too far 'under' the car; peel pipes off the underside by not levelling the forks/having them too high; punch holes straight through the sides for a laugh; dangle the entire car on its side with the fork tips on the bottom lip of one of the sills; make the car level from bootlid to bonnet by having it fall off said lip...

Wouldn't say that they're non structural. Excess structure for everyday purposes perhaps, but they're non trivial sections. You could try and pull/press it back into roughly the right shape, but for a road car I'd just gob some underseal on there.

Does anybody make underbellies for 5s? Energy absorbing sandwich panel type affairs?

·
9,153 Posts
i don't see why it couldn't be done by a forklift. i bent mine when i first got the car and tried to jack it up at the box section. and then subsequently every time i go over the speedbump for focus / halfords in reading.

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
You can see the flat bit where the axle stand has been placed.

There is a reinforced part at each end of the rail where axle stands can be placed.

As said before, get some underseal on it as if it rusts through you will fail an MOT.

·
Turn it UP!!!
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can see the flat bit where the axle stand has been placed.

There is a reinforced part at each end of the rail where axle stands can be placed.

As said before, get some underseal on it as if it rusts through you will fail an MOT.
[/quote]

Ah we have a MX5-CSI agent on the case, well spotted,
undersealing this weekend. Cheers

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
i don't see why it couldn't be done by a forklift. i bent mine when i first got the car and tried to jack it up at the box section. and then subsequently every time i go over the speedbump for focus / halfords in reading.
The forks move slowly and are fairly bendy - the bro' and I used the forklift extensively when turning two '5s into one and it'll scratch the underseal off the bottom but that's about it.

We think its an axle stand? I'm not sold, as the dint on one side of the rail only. Jack that's badly lined up perhaps, but you wouldn't stick an axle stand in that cock-eyed. The scratched off underseal doesnt't fit with that either though - it looks to have been scraped along something not just pressed up in one spot. Bent either which way

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
so its just me that thinks the floor is also bent, and wouldn't dream of leaving it like that?

They may not be chassis rails as such, but stiffening them helps the car no end. What would weakening them do? The transmission tunnel and sills might be enough for safety but this car is about handling. They most deffinatly do more for the car than this thread surgests to me.

easy enough fix. you have figured it out allready. Massage back with a hammer. treat. Apply frame rails using plates on the inside of the car so that bolting the rails on pulls the floor straight, not the bolts through the floor. Then enjoy your better handling car.

Just a couple of hundred quid, and the end result is 'my car has something racey underneath' not just 'im £200 lighter'

edit: anyone thats not convinced, should look at pics of rails fitted, then at pics of this dent, and ask themselfs if the difference is worth £200

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
Deffo an axle stand IMO.

The previous owner has jacked it up with the scissor jack, pushed the axle stand under the rail and then let the jack down.

Panic has then ensued as the chassis rail starts to crumple and they replace and wind up the jack as quickly as possible.

I've seen it done once (not my car) and heard of it a few times.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.