Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Driving Spec: NA
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm looking for a bit of help, I'm struggling to diagnose the problem.

When I go over bumps I can hear a thud noise coming from the rear of the car on the passenger side. I've had everything out of the boot as I thought it was the jack moving about but it still does it. When a passenger is in the car it is the same and they said it sounds like its behind them.

I recently had some HSD's fitted and I thought it could be that, but tonight I set the shocks up thinking that it could be the shock bottoming out, it still does it on some bumps, but on other bumps its silent.

I've driving me mad as I'm trying to route cause it but I'm not having much luck.

Has anyone had this before thud/ banging noise before? Or does anyone have any ideas?

It is only on the passenger side. Drivers side is silent.

Cheers,
Phil

·
Mechanically Confused
2,142 Posts
I had the same issue...turned out to be the shock over-damping meaning the unit compressed but didn't rebound so it was always bottoming out. I'd get it checked by whoever fitted it!

·
Mechanically Confused
2,142 Posts
Mine was only the drivers side (Gaz Gold Pros). WIM fitted complete new units as the banging one was fucked and they didnthe other one just I case. Top lads at WIM!

Defo worth getting in touch with whoever supplied and fitted the new suspension...

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
have you checked the top mounting bolts for the rear shock? there's 2 that hold the top-mount and then there's one more on the top of the shock itself. if either of those are loose then it may cause the banging you describe.

·
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll check that tomorrow after work. It must be suspension related as it sounds like it is coming from the boot. I've gone through the thought of it being my exhaust banging, bushes, wheels catching on arches, brake cover catching.

But everytime I hear the noise on the passenger side it throws me off my original thoughts.

·
Sideways is t'only way!
2,219 Posts
I get the occasional thud on my passenger side rear... it's my mx5parts dual pipe hitting the chassis will need some fettling at some point

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Rubber exhaust mounts perished and hitting one of the cross braces? (I had this a few times before upgrading to powerflex exhaust mounts)

·
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers for the input guys, and I think you are right about the exhaust.

I knew the Corn's exhaust was close to the subframe brace, but the noise didn't sound like the exhaust. So I did a little test after work.

When I got home I asked my mate to push the tip of the exhaust towards the passenger side of the car so it makes contact with the subframe brace. I sat in the car and the noise was the same as what has been bugging me the past few days. So I'm very glad its not the shocks.

Now, after inspection the Corn's exhaust is very close to the subframe brace, so I don't know if powerflex hangers will cut the mustard.

Would maybe wrapping the subframe brace in a lot heatshield tape work so it cushions the impact of the exhaust?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.