Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if people recommend these dampers?

I often feel like when I'm high in the revs, there is a vibration felt from the engine, may not even be the engine but my OEM pulley must be dead as it's 30years old.

Are these ATI dampers worth it? £550!! Can you buy OEM originals anymore?

Thanks

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,795 Posts
You can get new replacement OEM pulleys. I've got one on my 1.6 turbo. as they age the rubber definitely brittles and cracks.

http://instagr.am/p/CQd-YEjnWri/
If you're reving the tits out of your engine and plan to take it over 8K , experts tend to recommend the ATI or Fluidampr.

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers,

Mine still at the standard rev limit so I'll get an OEM one.

£160 not so bad and 30 year old rubber in my currently fitted pulley can't be in the best state by any means.

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,358 Posts
Fluid damper is likely a better option for a turbo car. The ATI needs rebuilding periodicially, is a press fit, needs a pulley to remove when doing a timing belt etc. The fluid damper is cheaper and a set and forget option. The ATI damper does have much greater keyway engagement though because the timing pulley is moulded to the back of it and you replace the OE one with it, as such it's hands down the better option for a supercharged car where the pulley sees additional stress and wearing the key is a risk

Reactions: boosted and atlex

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blimey!! Still £525

I'm tempted to just stick with an OEM at that price

·
5,358 Posts
Blimey!! Still £525

I'm tempted to just stick with an OEM at that price
Yeh they are expensive. ATI are even more so. Best option really is wait until Bofi do a sale and grab one then. It's a shame there aren't more vendors that sell them to give some competition on pricing.

·
5,358 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Zed.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts