Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been on here for years since i got my 2017 1.5 MX4 soft top. I hardly ever see a topic on the MK4, and the same goes for faults, never see many faults mentioned. I would have thought the RF version may have had faults on the roof by now due to its complexity, but no, not a peep mentioned.

Either there is a lack of MK4 readers watching this forum, or the car is ultra reliable. I find it is mostly reliable and enjoyable to own.

My experience of faults and quirks...
The battery is crap, the factory battery is made deliberately light weight and hence gives poor Amperhours. My first fault was leaving the car at an airport carpark, going on holiday abroad for two weeks and returning to find the battery flat. I called in the Mazda rescue and got a jump start to get home. I have since changed the battery to a higher Amperhour.

Another problem with the MK4 battery is parasitic loss of power when car is not in use, the main culprit being the cruise control if left on active, as it can flatten a car battery in three days if the car is not used. So beware.

There is lack of undersealing on the MK4, it is the bare minimum of protection, and having seen rust problems on earlier MK's as mentioned a lot on this forum, I decided I had to pay for the car to be undersealed by an aftermarket company, underneath the car, and sills and wheel arches, at my cost, as I intended to keep the car a long time as i have retired.

One thing new owners must be made aware of is the active bonnet, a pedestrian friendly device that has one off exploding rams on the rear hinges to move the bonnet up if your front sensors go off in a collision, either by hitting a bollard, a pedestrian, hitting a speed bump (yes that has happened). Mazda sales folk go out their way not to mention this function, I never knew about it for a long time, as its a fortune to replace the parts, including a warped bonnet caused by the rams. There has even been cases of writing the car off if the bonnet explodes, as its cheaper to write off the car than repair it.

The active bonnet raises the bonnet so a pedestrians head does not hit the engine lump below, and gives a space between engine and bonnet. Why not design the car so the space is there in the first place, Grrrh!

The car not having a spare wheel is bad, I suppose most cars now do not get a spare, but in this case they do offer a spare if you want one, but it takes up most of the very small boot, so I drive without one, and suffered the consequences, having to get a tyre taken to be repaired. I do not like compressor and goo kits.

Talking about the small boot, it is the smallest boot in the whole of the MX5 range over the years, and is rather pathetic for supermarket run and also on holidays.

Other than that, I enjoy the car, and it keeps on starting and running, so I am happy with it.
Any other MK4 owner had their problems during ownership?

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
I had the misfortune to offer to repair neighbours window reg on passenger side. 65 plate.
What a nightmare. Gen regs are cheap but come without motor. When you go to fit and line up the spool it unravels leaving you with a puzzle..
Then when fitted door only goes down so you think youve done something wrong. To go up you have to shut door. Some sort of teach in function.
Then it will go up down with door open...so you cant check its all ok with door card off as i did..
Made my blood boil tbh. Lol
Ill do drivers when it goes as always easier 2nd time.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Probably a lack of money. Mx5s are cheap fun, and not many people under the age of 50 have the disposable money for a new second fun car. Wage stagnation, inflation, house prices etc with all that into account, A brand new ND is a massive amount of money!
Saying that I sold my turbo NA and got an ND and it's great.

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,237 Posts
Not looking hard enough imo, iv heard of plenty of issues such as the early gearboxes having a fault that causes total failure, I believe it was bad enough blink decided to stop using the mk4 for competition completely. There's also quite a bad issue with the hubs that basically turns them into a 30-40k service item. Iv seen some stories of what appears to be a fault with the roof as well but I can't remember the specifics.

I think most people on here comes here for mod advice, of which is much more aimed at the MK1 and MK2. There are some mk3s but due to cost and a decreased popularity few people seem to do as much or mod them as extensively, and this also applies to the mk4. I expect few mk4s are bought out right either which prevents a lot of mods.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Being a well off retiree, I have a new Mk4 180bhp and a Mk2

Faults on the MK4, speedo cluster fails, mine did under warranty but I guess expensive, all versions of the gearboxes are know to fail. Mazda are on version 5 of the box. Say £3,000 to fix.

There is a suspension component that contains two bushes that fail around 20K miles. The part is around £600 from Mazda, MX5Spares has replacement bushes that are a lot cheaper.

The hoods wear badly on some cars and need replaced. The battery is an issue and the Auto headlamps can come on by themselves when the ignition is off.

The top spec model has fancy headlights that switch on and off certain parts of the beam while driving on country roads. Very clever but someone had to pay £1,300 when one failed out of warranty.

My car came out of warraty in September and I extended the warranty as the cost of bits is very expensive.

Magic touring car.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I did look at the ND when considering another car but stuck with the NC, my second.
Biggest minus point the roof on the ND, can't say it's a proper roof down on the RF but I like the styling of it. The other alternative is the soft top, I wanted the PRHT as on the NC. Missed a trick here Mazda me thinks with the roof.

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,632 Posts
I've been thinking about a Mk.4 to get around the London ULEZ charge, but the payback time would be years and as I know the Mk.1 inside out it seems like starting from scratch again. Still, the Mk.4 is the first model since the Mk.1 that really appeals to me. Just can't quite choose which way to jump.

·
10,632 Posts
I don't know if the pyrotechnics in the bonnet really put me off any more than the idea that new cars are full of airbags and it would be an expensive pain if those went off too. I mean, I felt a bit like that about cat converters when they came in (what would happen to the old car market when these new gadgets that seemed to cost a thousand pounds started to go wrong?) and I feel that way now about electronic handbrakes (after a neighbour's car rolled away...). I appreciate that the bonnet lifters seem to have a bit of a reputation for going off when they really shouldn't, and the result can be very expensive, but I don't really have a sense of how rare or otherwise the problem is. Quite a lot of the reaction to cases of its happening seem to be shock from owners who didn't know their car had this feature. Maybe the discussions generated makes it seem like there are more cases than reality.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Agree that the early MK4's did have problems with the gearbox, up to about March 2017. I knew it was a problem, so I did not buy mine till Mazda said it was now modified and solved. Just hope they are. I have had no trouble with the drive train on my 1.5 so far these past years. Touch wood.

As for the exploding rams, for insurance purposed on the road, you do need to keep them to comply with regulations.

If you were considering a MK4 for track days, then the exploding rams could be an issue, unless you had the car dedicated for the track only and disconnected the charge circuit to the rams.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been thinking about a Mk.4 to get around the London ULEZ charge, but the payback time would be years and as I know the Mk.1 inside out it seems like starting from scratch again. Still, the Mk.4 is the first model since the Mk.1 that really appeals to me. Just can't quite choose which way to jump.
My Mk3 Sport Tech is ULEZ compliant. You could consider a late Mk3, personally I think they look better than the Mk4.

·
10,632 Posts
My Mk3 Sport Tech is ULEZ compliant. You could consider a late Mk3, personally I think they look better than the Mk4.
Yeah, Mk3 owners have the good fortune not to have to fret about ULEZ stuff and that's a £2k/year incentive if you commute into London. But personal taste though, that's the thing. Each mark after the Mk.1 is (arguably) a better car but none of them appeals to me so much. Mk.4 comes closer than its predecessors.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts