Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just bought the one from pistonheads someone kindly linked too (thanks). Its not arrived yet but without asking she reduced the price as it was dented in a number of places (although not too bad she said). Ended up paying ?75 delivered I think it was up at ?75 plus P&P which we orignally argreed at ?80 so got a 5er off easy.

But my question is: Why are all the second hand arc magic intakes so badly dented/abused? Don't they just sit happily in the engine bay? Or do people decide to throw them around when they come off the cars?

Next question. I havn't looked yet so may get flamed for this but... Are they easy to fit? Is it just a matter off connecting at the throttlebody end and the AFM end and then the two other pipes they are for??? Oil vapour recirculation possibly and...

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it just a straight swap or will I need to go and dig out some jubilee clips from my dads garage?- On second thoughts probably be easier to buy some knowing the mess my dads garage is in!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
They are often dented by the owner to clear the radiator and air con fans I think as the fit can be a very tight especially if you have a slightly thicker aluminium radiator. Check the fitment once fitted for any signs of rubbing from the fan motors and also around the back where there is a clip on one of the water hoses coming from the thermostat housing. Mine was not dented at all but it was so tight my radiator motor it rubbed a small groove in the aluminium which I had to fill. I've now got rid of my air con and fan completely and fitted a slim 12" cooling fan in the centre of my aluminium radiator so clearance should be ok now.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Here's a quick install guide PDF I made for a 1.8 Arc install, when I sold mine - the principal is pretty much identical, apart from the 1.6 goes under the thermostat housing the same as the OEM cross over:

http://www.thedurangos.com/ebay/arc1.pdf

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right got it today. Its in pretty good condition couple of smallish dents but never mind. I had a very brief look under the bonnnet looking for two hoses to see what size hose clips I needed. Got the clips. Got home to install the arc and noticed a 3rd hose a pretty fat one looking down at the engine it was on the left hand side to the right of the pipe so I havnt installed it just yet as I needed to find out what it was for before I removed it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I had that problem, but if you double check the extra hose is actually connecting the stock chamber to... itself. So it just comes out as one whole unit.

Definitely a
moment

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Done it. Strangly enough I have noticed a big impovement in torque. Normally when I have a passenger in its very noticable. When I fitted it me and the gf went for a drive and it felt excatly the same as if there was just me in there. So hopfully when im in on my own it will be a nice improvement. Had some trouble with the idle control hose (I think is the correct hose), the bigger one of the two. It jus wouldnt come off! Anyway after a few cuts I managed to man power it off. Happy with it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.