Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
finds titles too "mainstream"
5,156 Posts
Almost seems a shame to have to sell under those conditions.

I think sorting the timing is supposed to be fairly easy if you know your spanners which sadly I don't otherwise I'd offer to fix it for him gratis if I could.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
At the current price, or something close to it, I'd be on that like a tramp on fresh chips! Sadly (for me) it'll probably be quite a bit more expensive than that by the time the bidding is over. It's also at the wrong end of the country for me...

·
Registered
756 Posts
A snapped fan belt knocked the timing out??? At most I would expect the cam belt could jump one it two teeth and even then the engine would run, badly. I suspect the issues are a bit more than timing. Might still make a cheap car for someone though.

Rich

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I quote

Been into the garage following a fan belt snapping. The garage replaced the fan belt and pulley, however the timing has advanced on the timing belt and needs setting correctly.

and

I list the issues to be totally honest about the condition of the car.

I don't believe the second statement, and I think the first is clear as MUD.

It's a non runner, and you can assume the engine is FECKED in my humble opinion, based on experience of ebay.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Shit load of mileage, banging another engine in is an option as I dare say finish price will be low. Could be that the cam with cas pinion has slipped so timing may not cure this one. Either way a bit labour and engine would cure it. PROVIDING THE SILL & FRONT MEMBERS ARE GOOD.

Having seen later MK2.5's in bin condition caution is warranted.

·
Detects stupidity. Attacks without mercy.
13,356 Posts
Not sure which picture i like more - #3 the sad alsatian, or #5 the plump lady smiling as she drapes herself over a non-working car.

I'll go for the dog actually, i love dogs.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard to imagine that someone living in those surroundings and with those apparent trappings can't afford to get the timing sorted.......if, indeed that is what's actually wrong with the car.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Is the car really all that great, really?

It's 160,000 miles on the clock, appears to have a few cosmetic issues including rust on the rear arches (what about the sills), I'm strugling to see why you'd be jumping onto this even if you do replace the engine or repair it - seems like effort for 2002 car with that mileage for resale value. Tax is on its way out too

There is a lack of useful photos in this advert - I'd want to see them in more detail along with all the cosmetic issues.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Skim read it last night, thought the mileage was 45,000 not 145,000. Could still have been a cheap car at £300 for someone willing to chuck an engine in it but I see it's already gone up to £500 this morning and it still has four days to run. Removed from watchlist...

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skim read it last night, thought the mileage was 45,000 not 145,000. Could still have been a cheap car at £300 for someone willing to chuck an engine in it but I see it's already gone up to £500 this morning and it still has four days to run. Removed from watchlist...
My thoughts entirely. At £300 it might have been worth a punt; at £500 it's expensive.
Also, because it's only five miles away I asked the vendor if I could view, and I haven't had a reply.

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
Fan belt...
Where's that then?
Replaced but slipped a tooth....
Errr then the garage should sort it
Replacing a timing belt is an easy job, and you check its all set up right before putting all the covers back on, and if it was wrong it would only just be out unless your a moron and then you shouldn't be working in a garage, and if you do fuck up like that then why would you tell your customer that your incompetent and you've done your job wrong and you want more money to fix it!

High mileage, but scabby, not a sport or anything special, avoid. £300 yes be worth a tinker to sell on again for a bit of profit. But now its over £500 can't see any value in it.
I bought a mk2 vs special with torsen, 6 speed, leather. Oem splitter. Oem Windbreaker blah blah with a dented wing and rear quarter for £1350, and it actually was a car rather than a non working giant paperweight like this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.