Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Went round a corner today and heard a big slosh noise, upon investigation found the left drain hole under the hood must be blocked as there was water round there and it seems to have found it's way into the boot too. I tried a household unblocker rod but I think it was to big/wrong shape for the hole as after 15 minutes of poking around I couldn't located the holes entrance under the top hole.

So, my question is are there any friendly local souls with a rod that fits that I can pop round and use until I find something to buy. I hear some brass instrument cleaners are ideal, suggestion on what to buy welcome.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,210 Posts
Yeah, non electric ariel mast works perfect, i used one at at the weekend.

Water in the boot could also be a crack in rain rail too? Hopefully just a seal though. Or seepage from your blocked drain.

· erk alors el blast from th' past dude
4,480 Posts
strimmer cable works pretty well -poke upwards from the floor exit pipe. In Timperley if you are passing by (option B compressed air is also effective)

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the replies. I tried a coat hanger but I still couldn't find the dam hole on either side. It did seem to go somewhere briefly but not very far so I'm wondering if it was too stiff and the drain tube isn't straight. My aerial isn't electric but I don't think it's that long and I thought you had to poke something through and drag it out the bottom. I probably should have said it's a mk3 too. I'll see if my father has some strimmer cable tonight if not then I might take you up on your kind offer URN.

· Nutz irregular
6,874 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. I tried a coat hanger but I still couldn't find the dam hole on either side. It did seem to go somewhere briefly but not very far so I'm wondering if it was too stiff and the drain tube isn't straight. My aerial isn't electric but I don't think it's that long and I thought you had to poke something through and drag it out the bottom. I probably should have said it's a mk3 too. I'll see if my father has some strimmer cable tonight if not then I might take you up on your kind offer URN.
No worries, just drop me a pm if you want to pop round, I've done them on my Mk 3

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd just like to publicly thank URN for his help in sorting my drains. With his help I found where the drainhole is and that if you stick a Trombone cleaner down there and it seems to stop you have to wiggle and twist it abit and then it will carry on. In case it helps anyone else I took this picture of where you're aiming for. http://oi49.tinypic.com/2v3ux.jpg

And this (http://oi45.tinypic.com/33f525h.jpg) was the result of just cleaning the brush end from just one drainhole so who knows what crap came out the bottom of the car.

It would appear that the rubber flap on my left drainhole has stuck open as I can now hear wind whistling up it when driving. URN sent me a link which shows the rubber flap so I'm going to try and push it back up abit, I'm guessing it might just be stuck with abit more gunge so maybe abit more cleaning and hot water would sort it, assuming it didn't fall off! A Trombone cleaner does indeed seem perfect for cleaning them, I'm ordering mine today.

Again thanks URN, top bloke.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.