Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Rotorhead
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been a long time! I'm in the process of getting my MK1 MR2 back on the road after an MOT failure, and as I've had it for a few years I'm thinking of having a change. I've been contemplating buying another MX5 (although all these adverts with 'drift' in the title and ebay coilovers doubling what cars are worth is putting me off a bit), so I've been thinking about a MK3 MR2. I was wondering what peoples opinions were who'd driven both the MX5 and MR2, as so far my efforts to actually have a go in one have fallen flat.

The car will just be a fun daily. I'm not particularly looking for something refined, just something cheap, interesting and reliability would be a bonus. I already have a thirsty weekend car to throw money at, and the missus put her foot down when I suggested swapping the MR2 for a 300ZX. I actually fancied an FTO after following one through town so if anyone has any experiences of those too, I'm all ears.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

(Hope everyone is well btw
)

· Rotorhead
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest, boot space isn't really an issue, I've managed for at least two years using my MK1 MR2 every day and I've moved bases twice in it. I'm looking more to do with the driving experience it offers I suppose.

How do you find the NC?

· Registered
656 Posts
mk3 mr2s drive fairly similarly to the mk1 mr2s (its the mk2 that was a bit heavier and more refined car). you have prob read already there are some pre cat issues to watch out for on the pre facelift cars, i quite fancy one too, although think overall i slightly preffer the mx5 and having a boot even though small is useful.

· Rotorhead
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm just been reading about that, certainly explains why a lot of early cars are so cheap! To be honest I do fancy another MX5, and a couple of hours in the Members Rides section here has only made me want one more.

Anyone any experience of FTOs, or have any other good suggestions?

· Registered
2,723 Posts
In all honesty the mk3 MR2 makes the MX5 seem a bit naff, stock for stock all aligned etc the MR2 is so much sharper than the MX5. Standard the MR2's seem faster as well. I can't be bothered sorting my MX5 as I love the MR2.

Mk1 MR2 = cool

Mk2 MR2 = lost the plot a bit

Mk3 MR2 = mk1 MR2 improved

· Rotorhead
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you were buying again, what would you recommend as a minimum budget? There are some VERY cheap MK3s now...are there easy signs to spot of the major engine issues some of the early cars seem to suffer?

· Registered
2,723 Posts
Main thing is oil use, so any smoke walk away. To be fair I think most that were going to fail in normal use would have already by now. I had my 1ZZFE engine fail on a facelifted car,so issues remain with all 1ZZFE engines as far as i'm concerned however mine did fail after 20 minutes constantly operating next to the redline on track without a baffled sump..

I have done about 6 track days on the new 2ZZGE engine (why not upgrade if you break it :) ) with an Elise Parts baffled sump and its been perfect.

· Registered
1,638 Posts
Brother in laws had few mr2's last one was a mk2 tenth anniversary, lovely car but so naughty at the limit never dared push it like i do the mx5, he now has one of the last mk3's on a 2006 reg with low mileage. Driving it compared to the old car is like chalk and cheese its chuckable and inspires loads of confidence and when the back does let go its in a lovely progressive way. Performance is very similar to my mk2 mx but his car is alot more refined especially on dual carrigeways and motorways, the 6 speed box drops the revs down nicely when cruising and the cabin noise, hood up or down is alot more refined and apart form the crazy lack of boot space its a lovely daily useable car.

· Registered
2,723 Posts
Basically the CAT thing is a bit chicken and egg.

People say Cats in the manifold break down and get sucked back in scoring the cylinders.

What I think makes more sense is the engine wares starts passing oil, that damages the cats, cats fall apart and it all gets worse.

· Japanese for a Reason
515 Posts
Basically the CAT thing is a bit chicken and egg.

People say Cats in the manifold break down and get sucked back in scoring the cylinders.

What I think makes more sense is the engine wares starts passing oil, that damages the cats, cats fall apart and it all gets worse.
First poster that actually talks sense about this.
It is not per cat failure but infact oval bore syndrome, the ZZ engine except the 2zz 190bhp suffer, corolla, 7th gen celica.
And you can't just tell for oil usage from smoke out of exhaust as the cat vaporises it. Better way is to look at the exhaust tip for black residue coating at least an inch on the outside.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.