Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a couple of mentions of my MSDroid application on this forum via Google, so hoping this is okay with the admin, I would like to share some more information about where I've got to lately with this application.

This is a free non-profit application I've created in my spare time for Android 2.2 and upwards, supporting MS1, MS2 and MS3, with user interfaces that adapt well to both small phone displays and tablets. Within, it is a complete Megasquirt tuning engine. It provides you with dashboards that can be customised within the application itself using drag-and-drop. It provides logging, including GPS data. It features a fast and attractive log viewer, that can show you your GPS route on a map with synchronized cursors. The majority of tuning menus are available too, including tables and curve editors. (There are some missing, but this is work in progress.) This application is driven by conventional Megasquirt .ini files. If the application doesn't come with the .ini for your controller, just yell at me or add your own .ini file to /msdroid/ini.

The Log Viewer can view logs in plain graphical mode or with graph plus map. The log viewer supports pinch zoom, drag and fling, with the cursor also independently draggable. When viewing with a map, the map marker shows the GPS location at the cursor position. The log viewer and datalog facility works with an internal compact format, but export to MSL will come soon.

Tuning dialogs are supported for MS1, MS2 and MS3. Most that are built from the ini file are there, though there are a number of special or internally-defined menus that are still missing simply because time constraints mean I need a bit more time to get those done. But most of it is there.

The dashboard can be customised with a small range of gauge types to currently choose from. A large part of this project was to create a custom vector image library which means that within time a rich, attractive range of gauges and other widgets are going to be created, so the amount available will expand. Advanced users will also be able to use Inkscape to create widgets. The dashboard layout can be manipulated right on the application itself.

This software is still very much at alpha stage. It is software that will remain free, that I've done for my enjoyment and for Megasquirt users' benefit for no return. If you like what I'm doing here, please let me know and PM any requests you have or about any problems you have encountered.

The present release, 0.2a0 is now currently on Google Play. If you don't have access to Play on your device, you can get the .apk at http://www.msdroid.com/builds.

Facebook page for latest information, to shout bug reports and feature requests at me, etc: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MSDroid-Android-Tuning-for-MegaSquirt/475545652456190

Cheers,

Trev

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I found a couple of mentions of my MSDroid application on this forum via Google, so hoping this is okay with the admin, I would like to share some more information about where I've got to lately with this application.

This is a free non-profit application I've created in my spare time for Android 2.2 and upwards, supporting MS1, MS2 and MS3, with user interfaces that adapt well to both small phone displays and tablets. Within, it is a complete Megasquirt tuning engine. It provides you with dashboards that can be customised within the application itself using drag-and-drop. It provides logging, including GPS data. It features a fast and attractive log viewer, that can show you your GPS route on a map with synchronized cursors. The majority of tuning menus are available too, including tables and curve editors. (There are some missing, but this is work in progress.) This application is driven by conventional Megasquirt .ini files. If the application doesn't come with the .ini for your controller, just yell at me or add your own .ini file to /msdroid/ini.

The Log Viewer can view logs in plain graphical mode or with graph plus map. The log viewer supports pinch zoom, drag and fling, with the cursor also independently draggable. When viewing with a map, the map marker shows the GPS location at the cursor position. The log viewer and datalog facility works with an internal compact format, but export to MSL will come soon.

Tuning dialogs are supported for MS1, MS2 and MS3. Most that are built from the ini file are there, though there are a number of special or internally-defined menus that are still missing simply because time constraints mean I need a bit more time to get those done. But most of it is there.

The dashboard can be customised with a small range of gauge types to currently choose from. A large part of this project was to create a custom vector image library which means that within time a rich, attractive range of gauges and other widgets are going to be created, so the amount available will expand. Advanced users will also be able to use Inkscape to create widgets. The dashboard layout can be manipulated right on the application itself.

This software is still very much at alpha stage. It is software that will remain free, that I've done for my enjoyment and for Megasquirt users' benefit for no return. If you like what I'm doing here, please let me know and PM any requests you have or about any problems you have encountered.

The present release, 0.2a0 is now currently on Google Play. If you don't have access to Play on your device, you can get the .apk at http://www.msdroid.com/builds.

Facebook page for latest information, to shout bug reports and feature requests at me, etc: http://www.facebook.com/pages/MSDroid-Android-Tuning-for-MegaSquirt/475545652456190

Cheers,

Trev
That looks brilliant Trev, well done.

Without trying to seem ungrateful as you have done this is your spare time for free. However was there any chance you were looking to do a IOS version for us apple users at all please?

Have a great new year to

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello Ryan,

Unfortunately iOS presents a massive hurdle because of the way in which Apple have locked down their Bluetooth stack to prevent third-party party products being connectable. This sadly means that you can't use an iPhone or iPad to open a serial port profile (SPP) connection over Bluetooth like you can with Android. So, an iPhone or iPad will not be able to connect up with the low-cost Bluetooth to serial adapters that you can use with Android.

Actually, it isn't impossible to get around, and in fact there are already some iOS apps for Megasquirt I think (one called Bluetune springs to mind). But the caveat is that you can't use a cheap Bluetooth to serial adapter. One option for iOS is that you use a Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, but these I believe have to be manufactured specifically (I think I recall the Bluetune app author talking about doing a production run of them). Another option is that the adapter has to contain an Apple chip and be certified by Apple (I recently designed some Apple-compatible Bluetooth hardware that did this). Another option is to abandon Apple's Bluetooth restrictions and use WiFi instead. You may have come across things like iOS-compatible remote control helicopters and air-ride suspension controllers; they all use WiFi to get around iOS's locked-down Bluetooth. So whichever solution is chosen, the basic problem is that for iOS the adapter hardware is a headache because of Apple's restriction on third-party products. It's a great shame, because iOS stuff is lovely hardware. I also recall someone telling me that jailbreaking the iOS device is another option; a chap I met at a track day told me he did this so that he could use an iPhone app with a GPS Bluetooth unit.

So in conclusion, it's easier all round - and actually probably literally no more expensive - for you to buy a cheap Android device to use and leave in your car, and use that instead of the iPhone.

(Sorry to ramble on! :) )

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Hello Ryan,

Unfortunately iOS presents a massive hurdle because of the way in which Apple have locked down their Bluetooth stack to prevent third-party party products being connectable. This sadly means that you can't use an iPhone or iPad to open a serial port profile (SPP) connection over Bluetooth like you can with Android. So, an iPhone or iPad will not be able to connect up with the low-cost Bluetooth to serial adapters that you can use with Android.

Actually, it isn't impossible to get around, and in fact there are already some iOS apps for Megasquirt I think (one called Bluetune springs to mind). But the caveat is that you can't use a cheap Bluetooth to serial adapter. One option for iOS is that you use a Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, but these I believe have to be manufactured specifically (I think I recall the Bluetune app author talking about doing a production run of them). Another option is that the adapter has to contain an Apple chip and be certified by Apple (I recently designed some Apple-compatible Bluetooth hardware that did this). Another option is to abandon Apple's Bluetooth restrictions and use WiFi instead. You may have come across things like iOS-compatible remote control helicopters and air-ride suspension controllers; they all use WiFi to get around iOS's locked-down Bluetooth. So whichever solution is chosen, the basic problem is that for iOS the adapter hardware is a headache because of Apple's restriction on third-party products. It's a great shame, because iOS stuff is lovely hardware. I also recall someone telling me that jailbreaking the iOS device is another option; a chap I met at a track day told me he did this so that he could use an iPhone app with a GPS Bluetooth unit.

So in conclusion, it's easier all round - and actually probably literally no more expensive - for you to buy a cheap Android device to use and leave in your car, and use that instead of the iPhone.

(Sorry to ramble on! :) )
That sounds about right, the apple way to per approve everything. Keeps them in control.

Sounds like my idea to jailbreak my phone needs to be brought forward, or like you say buy a cheap android unit and use it in the car only.

Thanks for that, ill look into this further, would be easier to data log from a phone rather than getting the laptop out each time.

Cheers

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very nice!
I really need to get the bluetooth device now. I almost got one for tuner studio dash board but I think that's only a dashboard (actually that was the reason for purchasing an Android tab instead of iPad) . This is very nice tool!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the kind words

If you would like to get a suitable Bluetooth adapter, here is the one I have been using during development:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bluetooth-Serial-RS232-Adapter-Class1-100meter-range-with-Built-In-Antenna-/261147695427?pt=UK_Computing_Parallel_Serial_PS_2&hash=item3ccd9d9943

You also need a gender changer (DB9 male to male):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Serial-RS232-DB-9-Pin-Male-to-Male-Gender-Changer-Converter-PC-Extension-Adapter-/280763274449?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item415ecb94d1

The one thing to watch out for is that the adapter needs to be configured for the right baud rate for your version of MS. This is 9600baud for MS1 and 115200baud for MS2 and MS3. To configure it requires use of hooking up to a PC and using hyperterminal, so at some point I think I need to arrange with an eBay seller to preconfigure them. Or if you get stuck, post it to me and I could configure it for you. I *think* they come preconfigured at 115200.

I'm working on vastly improving the dashboard in MSDroid. I realise it is looking a bit shonky now, mainly because I have concentrated much of my time on the other stuff, i.e. the tuning ability and log viewing.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Hello Ryan,

...A load of really interesting Techie Geek stuff...

But essentially iStuff is for men who love men, so I don't wish to encourage that kind of sordid behaviour.
I told Trev he should have called his app "SquirtDroid" but apparently that name was already used for the previous electronics project he developed the unique secure bluetooth link for.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Looks like a great app.

Do you know how to connect a android phone to a MS2 with a USB port via blutooth? i.e. a usb blutooth adaptor instead of a serial blutooth adaptor on the MS2.

Thanks

·
Dimitris
1,575 Posts
Looks like a great app.

Do you know how to connect a android phone to a MS2 with a USB port via blutooth? i.e. a usb blutooth adaptor instead of a serial blutooth adaptor on the MS2.

Thanks
Unfortunately it can't happen, which is why I now advise against having an onboard USB port instead of a serial port.

What you can do, is add a serial port in parallel to the USB port (and only use one of the two at any given time).

Dimitris

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks Dimitris,

Your the man with all the answers!

I'll just stick with the USB lead and laptop, I'm not comfortable opening up and installing a serial port in parrallel.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Tried it last night, very impressed so far, starting to make up my custom dash's now.
One request, looking a quick way to shut off the fuel pump when I park the track car up for the week, could you add a quick on \off switch?

Great app, I'll need a nexus if I'm goint to use it to do some tuning but the dash looks great on the SIII

Phil

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
One request, looking a quick way to shut off the fuel pump when I park the track car up for the week, could you add a quick on \off switch?
The ignition key not good enough?

If you mean a kill switch, then that would require an addition to the firmware, rather than the tuning software (it's the firmware and it's assocated .ini that defines features rather than tuning software).

That sort of thing as been asked for before in MSExtra.com and refused.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.