Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

· Registered
1,134 Posts
You aren't wrong though. But I wonder, what the difference is between my brakes and other people who write comments such as "stock brakes are fine, just need better pads and fresh fluid"

I don't think my stock brakes are fine, I've put yellowstuff in and the initial bite feels terrible.
My experience of yellows was the same, initial bite is heavily sacrificed but yet I still overheated them too easily. The drop off in low temp/initial friction is so noticeable that even a slip road at the end of a motorway gives noticeable in stop mu rise that is akin to some seriously heavy duty track pads, yet without the benefit of heavy duty track pads. I found Axxis ultimates gave a much better initial bite and better high temp performance. They are much dustier though. Not sure if they still make them?

Failing that I quite like the PBS pads I tried on my EP3 so I'd be tempted by those? I currently have carbotech xp8's on the mx5 but I wouldn't recommend them for road or sprints; they have better initial bite than the yellows but their mu rise with temp is staggering and requires keeping them warm to make the most of them (e.g. great on track)

· Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
My experience of yellows was the same, initial bite is heavily sacrificed but yet I still overheated them too easily. The drop off in low temp/initial friction is so noticeable that even a slip road at the end of a motorway gives noticeable in stop mu rise that is akin to some seriously heavy duty track pads, yet without the benefit of heavy duty track pads. I found Axxis ultimates gave a much better initial bite and better high temp performance. They are much dustier though. Not sure if they still make them?

Failing that I quite like the PBS pads I tried on my EP3 so I'd be tempted by those? I currently have carbotech xp8's on the mx5 but I wouldn't recommend them for road or sprints; they have better initial bite than the yellows but their mu rise with temp is staggering and requires keeping them warm to make the most of them (e.g. great on track)
Hi Woody thanks for your comments, that's really helpful.

I am planning maybe 2 track days a year, managing separate pads wouldn't be too bad.

I am glad its not in my head infact the bite feels less so than when I first installed them, almost like the wear in material was slightly better. Though, thats probably all psychological.

I was considering maybe getting some better braking system in, although changing the master cylinder/servo set up kind of scares me a bit, there seems to be a lot to go wrong once you start messing with the hydraulic lines at that end of the car.

· Banish a little rust a day people
5,523 Posts
You aren't wrong though. But I wonder, what the difference is between my brakes and other people who write comments such as "stock brakes are fine, just need better pads and fresh fluid"

I don't think my stock brakes are fine, I've put yellowstuff in and the initial bite feels terrible.
You and I are used to modern over assisted brakes from our dailys arent we? Iv never changed my NB brakes and they used to feel fine. They've all been rebuilt and work as intended. As you say, it's that initial bite that we dont have, they work well enough with a hard press, im just lazy and dont want to be having to force the pedal so hard all the time.

Reactions: guitaristanime

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
You and I are used to modern over assisted brakes from our dailys arent we? Iv never changed my NB brakes and they used to feel fine. They've all been rebuilt and work as intended. As you say, it's that initial bite that we dont have, they work well enough with a hard press, im just lazy and dont want to be having to force the pedal so hard all the time.
So what you're saying is I need electronic assisted brakes?

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·

She lives!

As is always the case with these things, I need a new clutch. Under full load the clutch is slipping and cannot continue tuning until that is sorted.

@Shadowraven and I spent much of last night deliberating over the choices sat on Discord and playing Battlefield.

The final decision is to (perhaps regretfully) get rid of the lightened RPC chromoly 1.6 flywheel and return to a stock 1.8 flywheel.
It's a difficult one, the car drives so well at the track, @Shadowraven assures me that the feel of the lightened fly is a good thing but I think it's very much just not my cup of tea, especially in traffic and on the main roads.

Clutch choice ended up being the Competition Clutch Stage 2 - 5% off on BOFI

Booking in with Total 5s Mark J to get the swap done sometime in the next 3 weeks

Just got to get the flywheel rebalanced and refaced now which is my current struggle as the first place told me that to balance the flywheel they need the crank. Post conversation I am told this is not true and a quick Google search reveals this is the case for some engines but for an MX-5 it seems that the two are independently balanced.

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I fitted a 1.8 flywheel and exedy clutch, cured the same problem, never noticed any real difference apart from a minimally smoother idle.
Do you mean you paired a stock clutch with an m45 or that you went back to a stock fly instead of lightened fly?

· Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I changed my stiock 1.6 clutch and flywheel to a 1.8 flywheel with an exedy clutch, fixed the slipping I suffered with my M45 supercharger.
ah wow really, I'm surprised a stock 1.8 clutch can hold.

What engine is that on? Mine is on the VVT 1.8

· Registered
1997 NA 1.8, M45 supercharger
30 Posts
FWIW the stock clutch holds well on my NA 1.8 with M45 (8psi boost, not sure how many torques it puts out).

By the way, is it generally considered acceptable to hack the front cross member to fit the IC pipes? I squeezed mine in behind it but it’s very tight.

Light Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Banish a little rust a day people
5,523 Posts
FWIW the stock clutch holds well on my NA 1.8 with M45 (8psi boost, not sure how many torques it puts out).

By the way, is it generally considered acceptable to hack the front cross member to fit the IC pipes? I squeezed mine in behind it but it’s very tight.

View attachment 61210

Iv seen it a lot. It makes it a lot easier because as you said it's very tight. I didn't cut my mk2 for my m62 kit but clearance is like 5mm everywhere and my radiator relocation had to be very precise. If you've managed it with no rubbing and no cutting you've done very well.

· Registered
1997 NA 1.8, M45 supercharger
30 Posts
Iv seen it a lot. It makes it a lot easier because as you said it's very tight. I didn't cut my mk2 for my m62 kit but clearance is like 5mm everywhere and my radiator relocation had to be very precise. If you've managed it with no rubbing and no cutting you've done very well.
The rad’s new so will be looking out for chafing. Main worry is the reroute hose rubbing on stuff.

[mention]guitaristanime [/mention]that’s a very smart looking install, going to be great fun I’m sure!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts