Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, a bit of a dumb ass question but anyway......

There's a sticker in the engine bay indicating that there's a K&N panel filter installed. Where do I find this (I think I know where but I'd rather check before I start undoing screws) and what the best way to clean it?

·
Randomer
8,007 Posts
I take it you have the stock black airbox/ aircleaner? if so then the panel filter will be inside that. By the way, just because there's a K&N sticker doesn't necessarily mean there's actually a K&N filter in there... but you may be pleasantly surprised when you open up the airbox:thumb-up:

I have a K&N cone filter and bought a K&N Filtercharger kit to clean & maintain it, essentially its just a bottle of solvent cleaner and a bottle of oil for the filter, I'd assume it's the same process for the panel filters.
The filtercharger kit may seem a bit pricey, but I've had mine for 3+ years now and give the filter a good clean every now & then, so it lasts quite a while.

·
Ecosse
3,884 Posts
Being a typical Scottish tight wad, I wash mine in Flash in the sink, dry it, then wipe it with transmission fluid. It works.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jimbob - yes, standard set-up, so just remove the 4 screws from the box to gain access?

Ecosse - I found some K&N filter oil in the garage, and we have Flash in the kitchen, job done

·
Registered
466 Posts
I always clean mine about every six months, but if you read the instructions that come with the kit it tells you the svc. interval is 50k miles!! I have also heard that they work better when a little dirty. So if you follow the directions you just about never have to clean it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.