Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I'm a Mx5 newbie looking to buy my 1st Mx5 automatic (only drive auto' i'm afraid) thanks for earlier advice from Nutz members. Anyway I have been told by MX5 Motors that air conditioning is a problem effecting both Mk1's & 2's is this the case and that to fix would be pretty costly? I am now thinking of maybe just getting a Mk2 as they have heated windows!!! The car they have on offer is this http://www.mx5motors.com/images/MX5%20for%20sale/index.html#stockone the silvertone automatic at the bottom for 2700. But he said that they would test the car today he thinks the A/C works 50/50 and ask the owner to pay to fix it. I have a 3 yr old do I need A/C plus I would be using this car everyday.

I do like this one (by the way not my postcode)on for 2900 open to offers serviced last year partial service history, tiny scuff on boot she said (how much would it cost to repair)also the interior seats have frayed a bit o the edges. http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201015356690130/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/4000/body-type/convertible/transmission/automatic/make/mazda/page/3/postcode/bs44gr/radius/1500?logcode=p. This lady owner is based in Tamworth, Staffordshire - anyone know someone who could inspect the car for me as I live down near Bristol happy to pay (within reason).

·
Registered
177 Posts
I bought my car in Queensland and brought it here after 18 months.

In 5 years I've only ever used the a/con. once (except for the monthly run to keep the seals lubricated) and only then because I refused to put the top up!

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
Well im not 100% sure and I could be wrong but so far it looks like im the only one so far, who is qualified to answer this thread .... no disrespect guys but....

If you have a three year old and its your daily driver, then if you can you really should get one with ac. I dont know what they are taking about on them being a problem. Try some cars and if it works it will probably keep on working - on a 5 it will probably blow really cold, if so its a winner. All cars where it stops working need a fair bit spent - dont believe it needs a recharge as it will in many cases need a seal kit and condenser as the gas will escape from the same cracks in the seals it did last time.

I can just imagine you stuck in traffic on a bank holiday weekend. Do yourself a favour, bringing up children is tough enough without cooking them on a warm humid but wet day or a beating hot sunshine day.

Yes people manage without, but on the days i take mine to work, i regularly use it. Especially on longer motorway trips.

Jonathan

·
Sideways is t'only way!
2,219 Posts
If you're looking for an auto 1800, this one might be worth checking out

http://www.pistonhea...les/1634881.htm

Newer car, lower mileage, good roof and looks to have a few nice extra bits. Good thing about the 1997 model is that it will be running R134 AC gas which is readily available from garages offering AC re-gas service.
Ugly foglight tho!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You say red... Not much info but could be worth a call?

·
Previous Grand Master
2,536 Posts
Newer car, lower mileage, good roof and looks to have a few nice extra bits. Good thing about the 1997 model is that it will be running R134 AC gas which is readily available from garages offering AC re-gas service.
Didnt know that Jay, thanks for info.

Jonathan

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi,

I test drove a M2 but I think my heart is with the 'classic beauty' of the Mk1 plus my so loves the Mk1 he's a real car enthusiast plus want him to have a 'super-cool' mummy lol.

I have seen two others adverts what do you think??

1: http://www.classiccarsforsale.co.uk/classic-car-page.php/carno/86410 This guy is on holiday for a while but happy to take my time finding the right car as will be using it everyday.

2: http://www.clickcars.co.uk/FullAdDetails.aspx~Adref~TW9512730 going to see after the football and she lives near me the family have a farm so the car has been stored indoors she appears to be an enthusiast Nutz fan although not good with a camera. Spoke at length last night the car seems to have been looked after well she has quite a bit of service history but the hood looks like it needs attention which she has done but not replaced. Now replacing a hood is not a problem i would prefer to have a heated roof. How much would you haggle off the price???

Regarding heated roofs does anyone know a good supplier/fitter? And a decent price??

Thanks Nutz members

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I've also got a 3 year old I cart around in the 5 and tbh I'm a lot more concerned about the lack of ABS and airbags than my broken aircon.

There's probably one or two times over the last year where I've missed aircon (mines got no gas) and that's been in hot weather with loads of rain. The heaters are pretty damn effective so winter's covered and in hot weather you've got the roof down cos the 3 year will insist even if you don't fancy it.

I certainly wouldn't let it stop me getting a really good example as it won't cost a huge amount even in the worst case - I was told a hundred and something quid for a change to the legal gas setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.