Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am contemplating selling my immaculate 2006 Mk3 2.0 sport in beautiful true Red, but what is it worth?
I don't want to under sell it or for that matter oversell, so I have come to the experts for your recommendations.

55,298 miles
Compressive history file
No accident damage, supermarket dents or paint work issues
HPI clear
Perfect mohair hood
Perfect interior
No rust at all, and has never had any welded, it was comprehensively treated with Dinitrol 5 years ago, chassis black and cavity wax (photos and receipts available)
It is totally standard apart from clear side repeater indictors (I do have the originals)
All four tyres are matched premium brands

I bought it almost 6 years ago when it had done 50,092 miles, which means I have driven it just a touch over 5,000 miles in that time, it has spent more time being washed and polished, I have kept it in a heated garage and during my ownership not seeing a drop of rain or winter roads.
Faults, the driver's seat belt is slow to retract (Mazda uprated guides fitted), 1st to 2nd gear is stiff when cold (gearbox oil changed) these are a common trait's of the MX5. Finally, the power steering is a little heavy, I have changed to fluid and PS belt, but not taken it into a garage, however after two years I have got used to it. It's never been a problem and feels the same 'weight' as my Mk1 MX5.
Its due its MOT at the end of Nov, but as it has only done 182 mile's I doubt there will be an issue so it will be sold with 12 months test.
My reason for thinking of selling is I am now 60 and thinking about my retirement, I have my daily driver plus a MK1 MX5 so my wife says I have enough toys.
What do you think? as it is so immaculate, I would prefer it to go to a fellow enthusiast to enjoy for many years. It does have a cherished number that could be left on the vehicle by separate negotiation.
Thanks Ian
Car Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive parking light Wheel

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Tire Plant

Car Vehicle Gear shift Speedometer Motor vehicle

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Synthetic rubber

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,007 Posts
Looking at similar cars likely 3500-4000 depending on condition, those wax pictures arent recent and wax tends to break down and hold moisture after a few years. Lack of use also can cause seals to shrink creating leaks, and things like the valve stems to dry up causing the car to burn oil so it's not necessarily a selling point. The gearbox would be a red flag for me as I know the mk3s had some issues, but it might just require a fluid change. The PS shouldn't be heavy, I found the mk3 steering too light for me, but it's been a few years since I drove one and it might just be heavy relative to other cars you drive (my partners swift for example is very very light).
At the end of the day it's worth what someone will pay for it. Price it similar to others listed near you, but mx5s are still really common and people are unlikely to pay any more than they could elsewhere. Mk3s also aren't old enough or popular enough yet for people to be paying increased prices for marginally better condition (as with the mk1s), it's not really that important to a lot of people, and many still (wrongly) think the mk3 is immune to rust so wouldn't really even look a the car in the same level of detail.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I would go with about £4k for value, lowish mileage is good. Needs to be pretty near perfect bodywork to fetch more, any rust or grot will lower the price below £4k
Sold my 07 plate True red for £5250 recently, that had some nice options like MeisterR's, red leather interior and recovered steering wheel and a few more additional bits n bobs.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What gets me is how high these old MX5s are still valued at. I definitely picked the wrong convertible to buy for fast devaluation. I privately sold my 2006 Vauxhall Tigra convertible after 11 years from new for only £1500 before buying a MX5 MK4 in 2017, and that was a good price for the Tigra, yet, the car had no rust, was very reliable, looked good, but being a Vauxhall in name, dropped the price dramatically.

I would not like to tell you how much the Mazda dealership offered me as a trade-in for the MK4, well ok I will tell you, lets say half of what I got privately, so the dealer never got it :mad:

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,007 Posts
It's a jap car/sports car bubble full of dreamers atm and won't last, basic D series civics are up for 5k, people are asking 20k+ for DC5s, there are even people thinking they'll get 12k for their 120,000 mile 350z... it's all a load of crap just because most new cars aren't that fun and everyone has cash in their pocket from furlough/working from home, it'll settle relatively soon. Mx5s however haven't really had inflated prices in the same way, partly because they are nearly all rusty, and partly because there are so many of them that it's still a buyers market.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts