Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Is there anyone, please, who is controlling idle with their adaptronic as opposed to the oem ecu, and who has followed Boundary's tutorial for tuning idle? If so, what typical values do you have, please, for PID in closed loop control? I've been blipping the throttle and playing around with PID values without any knowledge of the ball park figures I should be arriving at.
It's a 2002 Mk2.5 1.8.
Many thanks for any help.
Stephen.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hi Stephen

Running PID values of 3,3 and 3 but I'm running a 1.6 so not sure of their relevance to you? From reading the Boundary tutorial every engine will want different from the ranges they suggest.

All the best with it.

A

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thanks Paul....I'll try those values.
When following Travis' guide (which I got, thank you, from your reply to an earlier query about adaptronic idle from Andy) I seemed to be able to get very high values of P, then D, and then fairly high values of I without any apparent hunting.....to the extent of suspecting that I wasn't being sufficiently sensitive to any hunting.
In that our set up is more similar to yours than it is to Andy's I'll try your values tomorrow. EDIT;today!
Thanks again.
Stephen.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
When following Travis' guide (which I got, thank you, from your reply to an earlier query about adaptronic idle from Andy) I seemed to be able to get very high values of P, then D, and then fairly high values of I without any apparent hunting.....to the extent of suspecting that I wasn't being sufficiently sensitive to any hunting.
In that our set up is more similar to yours than it is to Andy's I'll try your values tomorrow. EDIT;today!
Thanks again.
Stephen.
I've seen .ecu files with much higher values, e.g. PID 70,35,35 or 8,26,10 or 12,24,10. Does seem quite random!

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's interesting....when I was playing around I was in the 30,20,10 vicinity. As your earlier comment suggests, it looks as if it might take a few goes to get right.
Paul, just to demonstrate my ignorance of all things modern, can WARI be run on, and an engine tuned with an android tablet?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I know its off topic but I use windows vista which needed a new usb driver from Maplin. I used XP before and it was stable, since the switch to Vista the lap top will freeze at random and a real pain when you want to log or simply run the F2 gauges.

Anyone had similar issues or would I simply be better going back to XP?

Ta

·
5 FTW
795 Posts
Thanks again.
Stephen.
I've seen .ecu files with much higher values, e.g. PID 70,35,35 or 8,26,10 or 12,24,10. Does seem quite random!
[/quote]

The big values are if idle is being controlled by adjusting the timing rather than the Idle valve (ive read on the adaptronic forum that the values have to be much bigger when using timing for idle control) - i havent got round to trying to setup idle via timing yet and i run 4 4 4. I did have to re-tune them after enabling overrun fuel cut also - its about getting the best balance between the RPM fuel comes back on and trying to avoid the associated surge if your still in gear when it does.

·
5 FTW
795 Posts
^^^
It's in the name.

Windows adaptronic remote interrogator (WARI)

Ben
Ah! Silly me!
So presumably the Microsoft Surface tablet would run WARI?
[/quote]

No - Surface uses windows RT which isnt proper windows! (think of it as being similar to windows phone)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
The big values are if idle is being controlled by adjusting the timing rather than the Idle valve (ive read on the adaptronic forum that the values have to be much bigger when using timing for idle control) - i havent got round to trying to setup idle via timing yet and i run 4 4 4. I did have to re-tune them after enabling overrun fuel cut also - its about getting the best balance between the RPM fuel comes back on and trying to avoid the associated surge if your still in gear when it does.
As ever the plot thickens! I've noticed the box in 'Idle' whereby using ignition timing to control the P and D components of PDI can be enabled. Might you have a simple explanation, please, of how this works? Is it reckoned to be of any significant benefit? Thanks.
EDIT....i guess this is the explanation about controlling idle with ignition timing...... http://adaptronic.com.au/forum/index.php?topic=4850.0

·
5 FTW
795 Posts
As ever the plot thickens! I've noticed the box in 'Idle' whereby using ignition timing to control the P and D components of PDI can be enabled. Might you have a simple explanation, please, of how this works? Is it reckoned to be of any significant benefit? Thanks.
EDIT....i guess this is the explanation about controlling idle with ignition timing...... http://adaptronic.co...hp?topic=4850.0
[/quote]

I on a whim enabled Idle via ignition timing tonight, and its made a massive improvement! even using "base" values of 50 4 20 - previously i couldnt keep a steady idle and AFR was fluctuating by over half a point depending on temperature.

Anyone who hasnt enabled this should definitely do it! AFR is now dead on 14.7 and idle speed is always within 30rpm of target.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.