Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying for the last few days now to remove my seats, but the bolts are seized and starting to round off.

I must admit, I'm using crappy spanners and sockets.

What would be the ideal tool to remove them? There is limited space to really get some force by hand or by hammer.

I've soaked them with Duck oil, but it seems to have no effect.

Help me please!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I've been trying for the last few days now to remove my seats, but the bolts are seized and starting to round off.

I must admit, I'm using crappy spanners and sockets.

What would be the ideal tool to remove them? There is limited space to really get some force by hand or by hammer.

I've soaked them with Duck oil, but it seems to have no effect.

Help me please!
Just use a good quality 14mm hex (6 sides)socket not a star (12 sides) with a 1/2" ratchet and an extansion bar.

Move the seats backwards and forwards to give yourself more access to see what your doing.

Ric !!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Six point sockets.

Pat...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Give the heads a good whack before undoing. If you can't get access with the hammer, use a bar- placing the bar on the nut head. (Being careful not to magle it). I always use the socket extension bar. Hit it head on and it should free-up the threads.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
6 point sockets are worth their weight in gold, especially on old rusty nuts.

Pat...

·
Super Moderator
10,052 Posts
my car came to me with one of the seat bolts rounded off. i had to use the dremel and a carbide burr to cut the head down to 12mm.

after that, it took a 2' extension bar and a breaker bar on top to crack it off.

it was the outboard rear and an absolute tnuc to get to, but it came out eventually. i meant to sort it at the time but i still have the bolt....but it's on one of the front ones now so i can get to it easier if i ever need to

if you don't have a set of impact sockets, buy some before you go any further
tom

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
My nearside outside rear was completely rounded when I tried to remove it last week. Ended up drilling through the head and just buying an M10 bolt from Halfords...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've got 2 out of 8 bolts out, the rest ain't shifting at all.

How do I go about drilling them out? Obviously I don't want to wreck any threads.

·
spending too much money
1,176 Posts
no need for drilling tbh, i got a chisel to mine and came off sweet (i only had 1 to do though)

·
spending too much money
1,176 Posts
Whack the chisel into the head on the edge so that when you hit the chisel it unlocks the bolt. completely destroys the bolt head but i was that dam annoyed with it i just bought spares off autolink!

Mini Guide!

1) Make indentation on top of the bolt head
2) move the chisel tangentially and hit the chisel so it turns the bolt

About as simple as i can explain it, its sounds odd but completely makes sense when your doing it lol!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Get these and be done with it....
I think it's more that I can't get enough force behind the ratchet, the socket just slips off because of the funny angle.

Thanks na8cgee, I might have to give that a go.

It's driving me nuts (pun intended)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Know anyone with one of these?

My local tyre place use them for all wheel duties so if i have any stubborn bolts they let me use it to crack them loose.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I think it's more that I can't get enough force behind the ratchet, the socket just slips off because of the funny angle.
What funny angle?

Any socket should be square and fit perfectly onto the seat bolt heads.

Pat...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts