Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Eunos Roadster 1.8 - 04 Mx5 Nevada 1.8 - 84 Golf GTI 8v - 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, had an odd one today. Drove my 2003 1.8 fl
nb for about an hour today parked it up and about half an hour later jumped in and drove it literally 400 yards at most and it just died.
Boom nothing at all, tried starting it again and it just turns over on the starter. I plugged in my OBD2 tool inside the car and it comes up with no communication. I popped a spark plug out and have no spark, also can't hear any noise from the fuel pump at all. Turns over very strong, but just turns over. Everything else electrical works, radio, lights, windows ect.
Any advice on where to look and start testing as I dont fancy throwing money at the problem willy nilly and hoping a new sensor or ecu will work lol cheers everyone

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Start with room fuse check (obd comms) then new crank and cam position sensors.
Very common failures both and ive never seen a code. Both cheap parts.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Eunos Roadster 1.8 - 04 Mx5 Nevada 1.8 - 84 Golf GTI 8v - 01 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Start with room fuse check (obd comms) then new crank and cam position sensors.
Very common failures both and ive never seen a code. Both cheap parts.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Cheers mate, I was told a room fuse being blown would stop the radio and what not working? It did throw up a cam position sensor code a while back but cleared and the EML wasn't on when the car gave up. I'll start with the room fuse and then try a cam sensor.
Thank you

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,415 Posts
Unlikely to be a cam sensor if it's not catching at all, could be a crank sensor though

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can test your crank angle sensor - No Tools Miata Crank Position Sensor Test - YouTube
If its not working check the clearance between the sensor and the trigger wheel.

My mk2 had an issue where it would intermittently cut out before 4000rpm and got worse over time. I replaced the CAM angle sensor and it runs like a dream now! Both the crank and cam angle sensor are like £15-£20 for an aftermarket part so worth checking.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had a similar thing a while back. The coolant block on the side of the engine has a 90degree bend on it. This corroded a pin hole leak which over time dripped onto the crank sensor and shorted it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts