Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, was going to get an NC but it turns out my insurance is now being silly, it won't let me insure an NC or a mk1 turbo, only let me turbo my mk2. So the questions:

1. Exhaust manifold, I've read all sorts of opinions on this, will a mk1 turbo exhaust manifold be usable on the mk2?
2. Turbo outlet - exhaust, obviously a lot of "ready to go kits" come with this part, is it something that could easily be fabricated by a local work shop etc?
3. Managment - will a AFPR/RFPR be enough to run a standard intercooled set up, obviously with the future potential to go E-manage blue etc.

Is there any other "mk2 tips" that I should know about, done quite a bit o searching but must info is for the mk1s.

Any help appreciated,

Alex

·
Daddys little soldier!
1,712 Posts
Right, was going to get an NC but it turns out my insurance is now being silly, it won't let me insure an NC or a mk1 turbo, only let me turbo my mk2. So the questions:

1. Exhaust manifold, I've read all sorts of opinions on this, will a mk1 turbo exhaust manifold be usable on the mk2?
2. Turbo outlet - exhaust, obviously a lot of "ready to go kits" come with this part, is it something that could easily be fabricated by a local work shop etc?
3. Managment - will a AFPR/RFPR be enough to run a standard intercooled set up, obviously with the future potential to go E-manage blue etc.

Is there any other "mk2 tips" that I should know about, done quite a bit o searching but must info is for the mk1s.

Any help appreciated,

Alex
1) Why would you want to use a Mk1 manifold? As far as I'm aware it means a fair bit of work to get it sorted.
2) I guess a good fabricator would be able to produce a one off piece. But again it begs the question why not go for something that is ready made for the job that you know will fit with least faffing?
3) Usually the AFPR is for the basic kits of 5/6psi. Going IC means you would probably mean you would want to up the boost and therefore need decent engine management.

I'm prepared to be proven wrong on any of the above but I would personally go for something you know is meant for the job you want it for. People have got hybrid kits on their 1.6 Mk2's (me for one), and they work well, however it can cause problems if you need aftermarket parts at a later stage.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i'm looking for those parts too and i see Alex's point. I've never seen 1.6 mk2 turbo pars secondhand and for someone without the funds to buy new kit (where from? I've seen only one from Begi) this would be the way to go. So if the mk1 1.6 manifold fits mk2, i don't see any problem. and engine management-vise, I'm probably going to build me a MS for it.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, thanks for answering some questions. The reason for the mk1 manifold questions is parts availability. I've never seen a second hand mk2 manifold come up and I don't really want to be spending big bucks on the HKS set up, there are a few manifolds on ebay US but I just wasn't sure whether to have faith in their quality or not.

Again, with the downpipe, its a case of finding one at a reasonable price, flyinmiata etc do the mk2 stuff but at a big cost

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GeorgeCZ in my googling i've found a few places that have HKS set ups still available to buy "new" but it'll cost you big money
. The put off for me with this is say I spend ?1.2k or so on a full HKS set up, the car won't be worth that much more, just look at Tr!x in the for sale section struggling to sell his for example.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to find something different to get my thrills, whilst the 5s have great handling and convertible, they just aren't fast enough out of the box
. Supercharged Cooper - s are coming down to a reasonable price....

·
Registered
241 Posts
could you send me links to those places via PM please? I want to have a look at it... I don't need the mk2 manifold, because as far as i can tell the only difference is the EGR, and i have it blocked off...

I don't want to give up on 5s, and i would be quite happy with 170-200 hp, since I'm building it just for fun, not for any real automotive achievements:)

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
GeorgeCZ in my googling i've found a few places that have HKS set ups still available to buy "new" but it'll cost you big money
. The put off for me with this is say I spend ?1.2k or so on a full HKS set up, the car won't be worth that much more, just look at Tr!x in the for sale section struggling to sell his for example.

It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to find something different to get my thrills, whilst the 5s have great handling and convertible, they just aren't fast enough out of the box
. Supercharged Cooper - s are coming down to a reasonable price....
Personally I wouldn't go for the HKS setup as the oil return is through the dipstick tube!
However perhaps you could fabricate the return to go to the sump relatively easily.

With american made downpipes take care that they will mate up to a british exhaust, on my mk2.5 (possibly different to the mk2 again) the downpipe did not attach to the standard exhaust this didn't matter as the exhaust was getting replaced anyway, but would have been a pain if I'd fitted the turbo and then needed to drive the car to somewhere for the them to fab the exhaust.

BEGI assured me the downpipe would fit the exhaust, P5 said not. I chose to believe Phil and he was right!

Can't vouch for the FM parts, but be careful as the yanks don't seem to believe that a car could be built any different than for them
(my turbo heatshield needed 'adjustment' too, though not much)

·
Registered
10,282 Posts
Just to add: mk2 1.6's are relatively rare. This may be why you've not seen a specific mk2 turbo manifold for sale. Mine being a mk2.5 1.6 caused me a few problems along the way, I would have been better off with anything else tbh (except a mk3
). For instance adaptronic told me that as far as they were aware mine was the first mk2.5 1.6 to have an adaptronic e420c fitted anywhere worldwide! It probably wasn't, but from that example you can see that ours aren't the easiest cars of all the 5's to turbo.

·
Registered
241 Posts
they're not that rare here in Czech Republic:) that's why I'm looking for mk1 manifold and downpipe... I'll have the exhaust made so it doesn't really bother me if it fits the stock one or not... And i talked to the DIYautotune about squirting the mk2 1.6 and they recommended me unit for mk2 1.8 so i would just have to get/make maps for 1.6, since they're basicaly the same as far as electronics go

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.