Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, so i'm new to the site, i'm looking into buying a mk1 but i firstly want to know any reliability issues with these cars and if high mileage is a problem? and are they usable as a daily?

also a big point, i'm 6ft 3", will i fit in these cars with the roof up? haha

many thanks

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
hey, so i'm new to the site, i'm looking into buying a mk1 but i firstly want to know any reliability issues with these cars and if high mileage is a problem? and are they usable as a daily?

many thanks
Go for a drive you will love it, there are plenty of mk1s out there that have done over 1500000 miles. Where do you live?

Oh Welcome

Steve

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,393 Posts
I am 6'3" and I fit in with the roof up (just about!).

·
Registered
694 Posts
, i'm looking into buying a mk1 but i firstly want to know any reliability issues with these cars and if high mileage is a problem?
just like any car check the service history, cambelt should be done around 60.000ish but it's a non-interference engine so if the cambelt gives up there's no real harm done.
On Mk1's check the rear sills for rust, and as it's a convertible check the soft top for tears and rear window (if plastic) for cracks, the rest is the same as if it were any other car.

High mileage isn't a problem as long as they've been regularly serviced.
[/quote]
On the opposite side of the scale, I took a total punt when I bought my car, it had pretty much no service history, no record of past MOTs or receipts etc. Just one receipt for a cambelt and oil/filters which the owner said he did a month ago.

So far no nasty surprises, touch wood.

The main thing is check for rust on the sills, especially the rear of the sills. Feel the underside of the sill for any bubbling etc. And also check for dodgy rust repairs where its just had some filler to mask it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, hopefully they'll have less rust than my old williams, that was a nightmare, constantly chasing it! is ?1000-?1500 a reasonable enough budget?

cheers Jimbob, i'll hold you too that if i don't have one before then! whats the bootspace like on these things? will i fit a guitar in there? does anyone play? haha, i'll be using it to drive to and from the studio/practice room.

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,393 Posts
damn, i was looking at getting my jcm head in the boot and my strat, another minus point for these cars haha
My son's Squier Mini Strat would fit in.

·
Registered
876 Posts
guitars do fit in!

I practice and play at least once a week.
Granted I have to take them out of their hardcases, but they still fit.

I can put in an electric, acoustic, a gig bag, an fx board, a stand, and a few jumpers in the boot.

I recon a Marshall head will fit ok..

·
Registered
918 Posts
I've fitted a fender bass in the boot. The amp had to go in the passenger seat though

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.