Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The drivers side electric window is fucked on Yuki. It appears there is a cable that has snapped (I assume said cable is what lifts and lowers the window). Can the cable be replaced or will I need an entirely new mechanism?

Also, she is suffering from coolant loss. I'm not sure where from and I've not noticed anything leaking underneath the car (but I'll not rule that out). Is there a common failure I should check first (1.8 Eunos)? I have a compression tester so I'll check the compression later to (hopefully) rule out headgasket failure. I'll not be impressed if it's gone, I had enough of an issue with my old Starlet.

Spank you.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Try replacing the radiator cap first, the next place I'd look is the two heater hoses at the back passanger side of the engine bay, they go through the fire wall, if the CAS o ring has leaked at any point it will eventually damage these two pipes!

Oh, and the two pipes leading from under the thermostat housing and the oil cooler pipes can weep if worn so take a close look at them!

As for the window, there are two cables for the mechanism replace both and the little plastic winder drum, grease em up well an the jobs a good un. Alternitively you can upgrade to worm drive cables which you can buy off eBay!

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Try replacing the radiator cap first, the next place I'd look is the two heater hoses at the back passanger side of the engine bay, they go through the fire wall, if the CAS o ring has leaked at any point it will eventually damage these two pipes!

Oh, and the two pipes leading from under the thermostat housing and the oil cooler pipes can weep if worn so take a close look at them!

As for the window, there are two cables for the mechanism replace both and the little plastic winder drum, grease em up well an the jobs a good un. Alternitively you can upgrade to worm drive cables which you can buy off eBay!
Thanks, I'll check those pipes out later when I do the compression test. It has to be done when the car is warm anyway so I'll have a nose about with the engine running and see if there is any obvious leaking. Fingers crossed it's not the head gasket, I could do without the expense and hassle TBH.

As for the cables, I assume they can be purchased from MX5Parts.co.uk?

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
I've done a compression test and it looks like the headgasket is baked.

Cyl 1 - 160psi (clean plug)
Cyl 2 - 140psi (oily plug)
Cyl 3 - 140psi (clean plug)
Cyl 4 - 170psi (very oily plug)

The oily plugs are concerning me, especially given that the oiliest of the lot was on the cylinder with the most compression. There are no other signs of water/oil mixing (rad cap, 710 cap and dipstick are clear of 'mayo') and there are no obvious signs of coolant leaking elsewhere.

Given the symptoms, what else am I looking at that might be borked?

·
Oh, hai!
5,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whilst working on Yuki over the weekend I noticed water leaking from the front of the engine. I suspect the water pump gasket is shot and/or the pump itself if fucked. I'll be replacing that when the HG is done. I'll also replace the rad cap and thermostat, I'm wondering if a buildup of pressure has caused the gasket to pop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts