Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car back in 2009 as a track toy, originally a cat D due to a broken front bumper, bent alloy and light scratches to the passenger wing. it was fixed up and roll hoop, new brakes and coilovers fitted and we took it out for some track fun. Twice. It then sat around on my drive for a while until 2014 when I decide to get it back on the road so it went for an MOT that it failed on, I did the work but then never got around to re-testing it and it went to my fathers workshop where it has sat ever since.

My son and I have decided to resurrect it and make it into something nice again,TBH we will probably sell it at the end of the project but there is an outside chance we will end up keeping it so we will put our twist on it. Going for an OEM+ sort of theme, nothing too in your face and a really nice fresh coat of paint.

First task was to get it running again, last time it moved under it's own power was back in 2014 so we didn't want to take any chances with stuck pistons so spark plugs were removed and the bores oiled, Oil was checked (still golden from the last change all that time ago) belts were checked to make sure they were not perished or cracking and then finally the engine was turned over by hand to make sure it wasn't stuck. we also check the airbox and gave the wiring looms that are easily accesible a look over to see if there was any rodent damage (there wasn't)

A jump pack and additional battery were fitted and with the plugs out we gave it a few turns of the key to get some oil round the engine. Everything turned over nicely so the plugs went back in and tried again. To my genuine amazement it fired up right away, sounded a little bit tapetty but we killed it within a couple of seconds to give everything a look over. This was still the fuel that has been sat in it since at least 2014, I had fully expected to have to drain it!

All looked good so we fired it up again and this time let it run for a few minutes, it was hunting a bit to begin with but soon settled down into a nice idle and we let some temperature get into the engine before shutting it off for a cooldown and another look around. We tried starting it from just the main battery and the attached spare but it wouldn't turn over so with the help of the jump pack once again we got it started, sadly despite being a brand new battery when it was laid up without any maintenance charge the primary battery was totally screwed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the knowledge the engine was good it was time to give the rest of the car a going over (I had already checked for the expected rust in the sills and since the repairs I had done in 2014 there was none apparent) The good news was that everything looked good, other than usual surface rust and a tiny blemish on one of the inner sills it was all in really good condition, brake disks obviously had lots of surface rust but the brakes appeared to function correctly all the lights worked, the horn didn't and all 4 tyres were very cracked and dry but that seemed to be the extent of the bad news.

With that and the engine now up to temp it was time to see if it would move under it's own steam and after a bit of a shuffle backwards and forwards I took it for a quick spin up and down the road. at very low speeds all seemed to work as it should so we let it idle for another 10-15 minutes before shutting it off and putting it back in the garage.

we came up with an outline of things that needed to be done to get it through an MOT, things like bumper and lights needed to be refitted, the foglight had been smashed of its mount while being loaded onto a flatbed recover truck etc and the MOT was booked.

In the next few days a new battery was fitted - the car runs much better with that - and the MOT prep work was carried out. One thing I haven't mentioned is that the paintwork is screwed, laquer peeling off all over the place, sun damage and at some point over the last few years when my son had just passed his driving tested he had an aborted attempt to fit a veilside bodykit so the car looks like total junk.

When he got to the MOT station the tester original said he didn't want to test it because it looked like an instant fail, he was persuaded to at least get it up in the air and have a look, after that he agreed to test it and it failed on tyres, the small amount of inner sill rust and the foglight not being secure, the tester was amazed at the condition and apologized about being an arse in the first place.

So now we come to today, we have a list of essential items and a wish list of things we'd like to do, first up a set of toyo TR1s have been ordered, the rust repair has been been booked in and a full set of belts and gaskets along with water pump, tensioners, fuel and oil filters (existing air filter is like new already) have been ordered ready to be fitted next week.

I'll get some pictures up when I retrieve them from my online storage (don't have access from this laptop) and I'll take plenty as we go along.

Simon

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would not have wanted to use that fuel, even to check it worked properly.

For it sitting that long as well, I hope it had a reasonably full tank of fuel, imagine it will be a bit rusty in the tank...
yeah the tank was pretty full, I had expected to need to replace the fuel pump and pump all the fuel out, we put a couple of bottles of octance booster in there to pep it up, and I am fairly sure when it was last used at Donnington we'd put some octane booster in the tank then as well. Either way it worked and will be fine for idling and moving in and out of the garage while it gets worked on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well a box of goodies arrived from mx5 parts today so I have everything I need to change the belts, fuel and oil filter and water pump. That is going to be a job for this weekend hopefully. New tyres should be arriving tomorrow as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One from back in the day when I first had it
Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

when it was put away at the workshop yard

Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle

what the interior looked like before we bought it home

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Steering wheel

and what it looked like when we pulled it out of the yard after my son last wanted it as a project car... All the veilside stuff is gone now.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The veilside c1 kit (the one most people associate with veilside) is definitely an acquired taste. And on the right car, done well can look awesome. It is rarely either though and in this case was certainly the wrong choice.
it is gone now and something more subtle and classy will go back in its place Not sure what that is yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It has been in and out of the welders today who sorted the small patch required and also created us a new bracket for the foglight. Tyres arrived this morning and are being fitted this afternoon, re-MOT booked for Friday morning.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well the good news is she has sailed through the re-MOT and is now taxed and able to be used on the road :)

The real work starts now, first on the agenda is changing the belts and water pump, then we start on the cosmetics.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Car booked in for the belts and water pump etc change on tuesday, given my work and social commitments I just don't have the time spare to do it and I want it done sooner rather than later so the car can be used.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A quick preview of yesterdays work

Motor vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Hood

The belts that came off didn't look to bad, certainly way better than anticipated. Some of the radiator hoses show some signs of cracking so I'll be after a new set of those. The only really odd thing as a long bolt missing from the top of the water pump, in all my ownership I've never done anything with the engine so it has been missing a long time - anyone know where I can get a replacement?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the missing bolt is apparently off the power steering pump, but the real issue with having done a couple of hundred miles now is that a couple of the shocks are leaking. These were new coilovers fitted in 2009 so it is a bit irritating. Just need to decide on what to replace with now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Somewhat irritatingly, but not altogether unsurprising at least two of the shocks are leaking (these were new on when it was laid up) so a new set of meister r coilovers have been ordered along with a new set of front and rear drop links that are looking decidedly tired. Hope to have them fitted by the weekend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts