Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jimmy P
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Im after a bit of advice if someone is willing to lend an ear,

Im planning on putting a 1.8 engine into my uk 1.6 car (has the 88BHP engine)

so a list of what is in the car at the moment

1.6 Engine (88BHP)
all the ancillaries
all the sensors
ecu
everything basically, its a running car, less a cat and cat back exhaust

Now, i also have all of this from a 1.8 s special II
Engine
Gear box prop
Type 2 4.3 torsen and shafts
all the ancilleries
ecu
and most of the loom (i cut the loom where it went to the back of the car (had the wires for the rear lights and battery feed) and at the front of the chassis legs where it went to the sidelights, front lights, pop up mechanisms and radiator fan motors)

i also have ready to go
a set of K1 GSXR bodies ready to bolt onto the head (after being balanced) with a Suzuki throttle potentiometer

Now i know ill need an ecu to run all this but my question is,

ill strip the engine out that currently in my car (the 88bhp one)
but what ecu/loom should i use?

would i use the 88bhp ecu thats in there and use the standalone ecu alongside of this?
or use the ecu from the s special and a standalone management.

as my only thought was all the connectors on the original 1.6 loom would be different or would this all pale into significance once i start wiring up the standalone management.

Also on the standalone management front, where is the best place to get the ecu? here? http://www.diyautotune.com/?gclid=CLjUxvWm0bQCFW3KtAodvFcAWQ

and what one would i need?

Thank you very much in advance and sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Not sure about the ECU for the 88hp motor, but a 115hp ECU will run a 1.8 engine no probs. you need to swap the 1.6 throttle body and maybe the MAF(?) but most of the other sensors are the same.

This has been a popular mod for years and there's loads of info on US forums. FM used to sell a kit of parts, maybe still do?

Rich

·
Jimmy P
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah I see, I don't think I'll need the fm kit as I won't be running the standard inlet manifold and throttle body...

Good to know that most of the sensors are the same though

·
Registered
756 Posts
Leave the 1.6 ECU and loom in the car, that will control most of the ancillaries on the 1.8 engine.

Or get a PnP standalone that will plug in instead of the 1.6 ECU, you might have a couple of modifications to make to the loom for the new throttle bodies for injectors, variable Tps, etc., but nothing too difficult.

Rich

·
Jimmy P
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
and then as for the ECU would any MS be ideal to control it, i know they all probably would, but without going overboard on functions im not going to use what one would be best?

I understand ITB mode is a function availiable in MS2 and above, worth it?

·
Registered
756 Posts
You'd need input from the MS experts on here, I dont run one. Sounds like they are about the best available at the moment for the money.

Rich

·
Jimmy P
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i thought the same but the more i loko into it, i hear tales of intermitant faults, shonky soldering, and poor build quality.

then theres the omex 600...

·
Registered
756 Posts
I've not heard about those. I've been running the same ECU (Electromotive TEC3 from US) for about 6 years so I'm not up to speed with current, modern stand alones, so I'll step out of the discussion and let the experts provide you with more details. I'm sure there are plenty of "which ECU is best" threads on here.

Let us know how you get on.

Rich

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
well i thought the same but the more i loko into it, i hear tales of intermitant faults, shonky soldering, and poor build quality.

then theres the omex 600...
You can't fault a DIY Megasquirt on the builders skills. It's only as good as your own work. An ECU is only as good as it's install, that goes for ANY ECU. I'd also hazzard that at least in the MX5 world it's far more popular, so of course with a higher catchment you're going to see more posts from people with issues.

Also bear in mind very few people post a thread that says 'hey 1/2/3/4/5 etc weeks in still no issues, people only really post when they do have a problem.

I've not personally heard any issues with MegaSquirts bought pre-built. I built mine in 2004 IIRC and it's never broken down once....

And whilst the Omex 600 is a good ECU the MSII (and 3 even more so) kills it for features and price.

I understand ITB mode is a function availiable in MS2 and above, worth it?
MS1 has hybrid alpha-n so works quite well with ITBs, but you are correct in saying MSII is superior. Even better it can do full sequential injection which MS1 (and Omex 600) can't.

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
As Richy said, you can't fault an ecu just because someone didn't build it correctly. I've had mine in now for quite a while and had no issues at all and there are a lot of people out there using Megasquirt even on very expensive builds.
I've never used anything other than ITB mode on my ITB's, but it was designed specifically with ITB's in mind and does the job.

As for where you can get them from, you can either buy a DIY kit or you can buy a pre-built kit. Pre-built ones you can get from people Reverant on here or DIY Autotune, you can get the DIY kits from DIY Autotune as well. You can also buy DIY kits on ebay as well, but if you're buyin an MS2 I would get a V3 as I think the firmware support is better than on the other MS2 boards, but I'm not 100% sure on that.
You can pick up a DIY MS2 V3 kit for about £250 or Reverant does his basic one I think for £340 pre-built.

On the loom, I'm not sure it matters unless maybe the connectors on the looms are different? As for the sensors themselves though, you'll be using the same settings for things like the Coolant sensor on a Megasquirt and if you're going ITB's you'd be getting a new IAT sensor and a varible TPS for your ITB's anyway, so you'd enter the values for those, so that shouldn't be an issue.

HTH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.