Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
521 - 535 of 535 Posts

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #523 ·
I don't know if my stubbornness to try and take the short way will let me do that haha

Changed the exhaust rubbers for some poly ones, certainly stiffened that up, was getting a knock against my diff every now and them, the original mounts were probably original.

Next on my trimming hit list, the dash!

This would have been a fairly easy removal and refit but that damn heater control was a pain in the arse to get out of the way and the amount of poor wiring for the fog light and heated rear window along with annoying routing of wiring for the gauges and central locking, meant some hassle to get the dash in and while it was out, made sense to tidy it up. If it wasn't for aftermarket wiring, removal and refit would have been a quick job.

This stain always drove me mad, has always been there, assumed someone stuck some sort of god or good luck charm on the dash at some point.

A dilemma I was having with myself way before I decided to do the trim myself, was how to go about doing the vent. It would be really difficult to accurately cut the material around each hole without it looking shit or the other option was to just cut around the whole dipped section, my worry with that was making a mistake or the material lifting.. I had an idea, I was going to use round grommets, like Singer 911's do in their seats but then I came across oblong version! Perfect, they would fit in between each vent section perfectly, so I thought I would give them a go!

I went for black versions, I bet they will bloody fade but I'll worry about that later, I think they came out great!

Was too dark to get pictures once in the car and it's still in bits in there while I await some new wiring connectors to tidy some bits up.

Windscreen trims and roof bar next.

Custom gaiters on the way, not sure what else I can trim in there really. I did have a go at the dash lower section and quickly stopped, no way can I do that without cutting and sewing.

Will update shortly

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #524 ·
Done a few bits..

Current state

My previous attempt at head unit wiring was pretty shocking, so I am doing it properly this time around and creating a new harness for the gauges.

And best of all, the mounts are OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was going to go insane with those mounts, they may aswell be solid ally blocks, the vibration and noise were way tooo much, I'm not sure how anyone would put up with that, even on a pure track car.

Anyway, new PolyTorq ones in, back to silence, feels like a BMW 7 series in comparison to how it was before, no deafening rumble or orgasmic vibrations.

I can't say I notice any slop or anything negatives to be honest, they feel really nice, I think they are marginally stiffer than the Mazdaspeed mounts, I do get a small bit of dashboard vibration where I never used to get any with the Mazdaspeed but it could be because my interior isn't fully back together and this morning, the car was idling at 1200RPM due to the cold, so not the fairest comparison, the engine feels like it isn't moving about, gearknob is solid. Very impressed for £35 inc post. After fitting last night, I did feel some PPF flex when reversing onto my drive, I did get this eventually with the Direnza mounts too so I think I can rule engine mounts out now, I just can't work it out. It's 100 times better than it was with Mazdaspeed mounts but I think I may have just killed them, they are good mounts so don't be put off. I would get the Mazdaspeed mounts again, just on a daily used turbo car which is driven pretty aggressively, treat them as consumables.

PolyTorqs, spot on, thanks for the shout Mr Wallace. Can't go wrong, feel like those solid Direnzas without the NVH. What more could you want?

I would love to eliminate the vibration, it's liveable for now, but the clatter and vibration through the car isn't right, it's nothing to do with the power of the car, this is felt when I'm engaging the clutch at idle and reversing. I am going to check for space but I will now get an engine torque damper just to experiment with. Other than this, I really have no idea what is wrong and what the fix would be, is my PPF screwed/weakened or is it to do with my propshaft, it can't be anything beyond those things now..

Does anyone refurb props with new UJ's on these?

Cheers

·
Registered
693 Posts
Just spent a while re-reading this whole thread, love the progress, couldn't see any of the old turbo videos unfortunately.

After fitting my performance clutch, I get gear lash in 1st and reverse when dipping the clutch also. I've got mazdaspeed engine mounts and void filler in the diff bushes. I thought either that's par for the course now or I need to re-re-align my PPF.

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #527 ·
Circlipped in but for the sake of how much props are second hand, may just get another to try at some point.

I'm not alone although I would be surprised if yours was as bad as mine, the car bangs and clatters when in reverse and the car jerks violently unless clutch is fully engaged, it did this with the previous clutch setup too but not to start with, it's something which has got worse ,so I think I have an issue somewhere, I believe my gearbox has had it. The noise, in ALL gears when light throttle or coasting is like ball bearings in a tin can, engaging the clutch, you can feel a vibration, more so when doing the same in reverse. Something in the box, possible on the output has to be broken and causing an imbalance which is sent down the ppf/prop.. I'll try a new box and see how I go.. Anyone local want to swap boxes, I cba!

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #529 ·
Still enjoy it, just an annoying job on the garage floor..

Here's a vid from a few weeks back, this is the noise, all gears, off throttle/coasting..

You can kinda see some of the vibration after I let off jerking the car/revs too

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #531 ·
I always find myself looking for a local one but then when I ask the question about them, I'm always told to not bother as it's 6 gears in the space of the 5 and it won't be of benefit when combined with my diff.. So I think I will stick with the disposable 5 speeds, I don't have an issue with them really, in terms of ratios, just their strength. Gearbox number 4 it is

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,563 Posts
Gosh that gearbox is pretty grim. Something's able to move and make contact where it shouldn't when the load's off. At least 5-speeds are cheap, but I don't envy you the job in a cold November.

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
162 Posts
I have this on my VVT swapped mk1 sometimes (and also on my turbo NB but not as much), pull away, change gear and after coming back into gear and engaging clutch the car rocks back and fourth. Mk1 is ultra lightweight flywheel and OEM 1.6 clutch mated to VVT motor and a 5 speed.... from your description, do I have gear backlash?
It's never been something I've bothered to look into as just assumed it was the lightened fly wheel causing it (or I need a better clutch)

As for the mk2 - BP4W mated to stage 2 competition clutch, TD04L usual set up. With that I thought my engine mounts were going :ROFLMAO: now I dunno what to think

EDIT: dont have the noise though, just the rocking motion

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #535 ·
Sounds like engine/diff mounts.. I remember when I first fitted my diff bush void fillers, instantly I lost that rocking motion. And more recently, with worn mazdaspeed mounts and going to the rock solid direnzas, all rocking had disappeared.

I have it back a bit now with the polytorq mounts but I believe it is my prop/pff flex issue which I think is something to do with a dodgy gearbox.Something is causing my prop to have more movement than it should

521 - 535 of 535 Posts