Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
501 - 510 of 510 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Can you get a pry bar in there see if movement.. and pry all others... or handbrake on engage clutch to take up drive dip on off with and assistant to see if engine lifting?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #503 ·
So I did more investigation, car up in the air with myself under it. A helper sat in the car, 1st gear, quickly engaging and disengaging the clutch.. Metallic banging/knocking noise every time clutch engaged.

While under the car, I followed the noise and although quite hard to pin down, it seems to be toward the gearbox/front of prop area. A knocking, metal on metal, I'll try and get the video here shortly. What I was surprised to see, was the PPF flexing and I think it is the PPF knocking the box, the video does make it seem like the proper is hitting the box but I have enough space to gets fingers in between so it isn't flexing that much and there are not contact marks.

The diff remains solid, doesn't move but the engine has some movement. Not a lot but it does move/shake a few mm when engaging clutch which I think is transferring to the ppf and making it bow/wobble. I didn't get around to removing the mounts as it got too late/dark but my suspicions are that they may be too soft/broken for the IL motorsport diff mounts. Perhaps the mounts deformed/broke while I had the car sitting on stands for over a year with the engine pivoted back while the ppf wasn't fitted.

I was also thinking, maybe the ppf is bent but it does bolt in place perfectly fine, I had no issue fitting the 5 bolts and I even removed and refitted them last night.

When going for a drive later, if I applied heavy throttle and then let off, there was slack, the uptake isn't quite immediate, as if the drivetrain has to take up the slack and then it goes, same goes for when I let off at high rpm's, there is a wobble in the drivetrain and you feel the car settle as it wobbles back and forth, almost like it had suspension from a 7 series Tailgate McNoIndicate but this isn't suspension related.

So I am left trying to think logically here, the ppf is bridging the diff and the engine, the diff remains still but the engine has some movement, minor but it does move like an engine does, when you rev it or engage clutch. I think that movement is wobbling the ppf.

Or is the input shaft of the drive shaft bent and causing a vibration through the gearbox/ppf..

I just don't know, so I'm hoping this info may help generate some ideas..

Help!

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 ·
Yeah, I really had to question myself and look for something to be loose or missing but it all seems correct.

All PPF bolts were loosened and re-tightened, PPF aligned to 65mm, all shaft nut/bolts were good. I can only think that the engine mounts are shot, I need to remove them to look. Keep in mind, that flex is going on with NO load on the rear wheels, just being a bit aggressive with clutch engagement. There are only 4 suspension points for the PPF essentially, so it's got to be a failing with 1 or 2 and it's definitely not the diff mounts as that thing had super minimal movement when this was all going on.

I really need to solve this, there is no way I can live with it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Watch vids a few times...none the wiser.. think engine mounts need checking/ ruling out.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
@Markbcars
Eunos Turbo
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
Quick update, wedged pieces of a chopped up exhaust hanger around the drivers side mount, went for a drive and the vibration was noticably LESS, as the drive went on, when pulling away, vibration was back.. Got home, checked and bits of the rubber I stuffed in, had come out, so I'm pretty certain thats it! Will remove the mount to double check but gonna replace for some other style of mounts I've seen made by Direnza.

501 - 510 of 510 Posts