Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
481 - 493 of 493 Posts

·
@Markbcars
783 Posts
Finally back on this, pretty much forgot about the car but on it now.

Replaced rear earth wire as it was looking pretty crap

50123870767_5319dfdef1_c.jpg

50123089778_6c08e02f36_c.jpg

50123877172_531700d6e8_c.jpg

Whoops

50123765341_c5ddd1404d_c.jpg

Split the torsen

50123764461_42af593b77_c.jpg

50123197948_c844df88cd_c.jpg

50123986457_e9295bffd3_c.jpg

50123198713_b84f0a7c6f_c.jpg

Ordered a flywheel and clutch combo from G19. This should last, the flywheel weighs just shy of 5KG on my kitchen scales.

All looks very nice.

Old one I just removed weighs 9.9KG.

Anyway, nothing exciting to take pictures of, was a very cold night in the garage but clutch/flywheel now fitted and gearbox back on.

Sourcing a new diff casing to have welded up, if anyone has one, let me know. The one I bought was incorrect.

50667308503_95a31a504e_c.jpg

Nice and dry

50667308438_5856b2f248_c.jpg

Dead! If anyone after it for a 1.6 upgrade or a lightening project, let me know.

50668128442_3e7eaff62e_c.jpg

·
@Markbcars
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #483 ·
Just awaiting my diff carrier to be back from G19 after having some plates welded on to it.

Gagging to get out and drive this thing.

I am wondering what else can come for the car, I think I am pretty much at max power without changing big things, seats and wheels I really want to get around to changing, rust has started to appear again so a full blow over might have to happen.

Just leaves me wondering what extras to add, would an Audi R8 coil pack conversion and catch can benefit me (noticeably?)

Perhaps I shouldn't bother as everything is working nicely. Aside from breaking diff's, clutches and gearboxes.

·
@Markbcars
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #485 ·
Gearboxs are just a PITA to change but it's nice that they're either free or very cheap, for now...

Yeah, I have had 2 diffs go wrong, both Torsen Type 1's unfortunatly, one of a gear inside shattering and the latest was just the casing, once strengthened, that should be solid! I won't be attempting burnouts on new AD08r's again to break the insides.

·
layabout
2,260 Posts
I have had 2 diffs go wrong, both Torsen Type 1's
how old, what millage & how much abuse (from new??) :whistle:

same as when people complain about old engines & gearboxes failing :yes:

I've questioned a few times how robust fresh components are but the horror-stories all revolve around used components :wallbash:

Rich.

·
@Markbcars
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #487 ·
G19 on the diff this week I believe, looking forward to getting the car back on 4 wheels!

Currently on stands, I bought a Car Bubble for it while it sat in the garage over winter, as seen on my 964 also but couldn't be arsed to get it off the stands. Covered in dust

50982058081_7b3891895d_c.jpg

Will be going in one when it's back on the ground, kept my 964 immaculate and away from condensation, bugs and crap!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
I got garage envy...my double garage has a post in middle with 2 single doors. Its a right pita.
£4k for conversion way too tight for that.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
@Markbcars
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #490 ·
Ouch, yeah, I would stick with the double doors, could be worse, could be a single :)

Thanks, I like to keep the thread updated, helps me remember things when checking back!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just read this from start to finish as I am going to view a low mileage S special 1.8 in the same colour as your car. The car is a real credit to you, both in capability, time, dedication and most notably persistance.

You pretty much did the things I was/am sort of planning to do if I do buy the car, but it would be lying if I said the whole turbo fiasco wasn't worrying... I really want to have a turbo MX5 with quality parts making around 210-220hp (I am not chasing figures, just want fast B road blaster). You seem to have done exactly that and yet have gone through numerous mechanical issues due to the turbo upgrade so that is definitely making me sweat haha. It's not that replacement parts are hard to source or expensive (gearboxes ect.), its more the hassle of having to do it. So perhaps staying NA and investing in lighter components (seats, wheels ect.) and good suspension is all that I will do.

Anyway, excuse the rant, your car is awesome and I wish I had the garage space and time to get one to the same stage! :)

Sid

·
@Markbcars
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #492 ·
Just read this from start to finish as I am going to view a low mileage S special 1.8 in the same colour as your car. The car is a real credit to you, both in capability, time, dedication and most notably persistance.

You pretty much did the things I was/am sort of planning to do if I do buy the car, but it would be lying if I said the whole turbo fiasco wasn't worrying... I really want to have a turbo MX5 with quality parts making around 210-220hp (I am not chasing figures, just want fast B road blaster). You seem to have done exactly that and yet have gone through numerous mechanical issues due to the turbo upgrade so that is definitely making me sweat haha. It's not that replacement parts are hard to source or expensive (gearboxes ect.), its more the hassle of having to do it. So perhaps staying NA and investing in lighter components (seats, wheels ect.) and good suspension is all that I will do.

Anyway, excuse the rant, your car is awesome and I wish I had the garage space and time to get one to the same stage! :)

Sid
How did you get on?

Thanks for the kind words.

The turbo is great, it's funny and has added some decent performance but to be honest, I've come to realise it really isn't about power in any car, so much so I recently sold my 997 to buy a GT3 but am now holding off as I just don't need that, I want a balanced road car and as crazy as it sounds, finding something that gives thrills to rival my MX5 on the road has made it difficult. I'm not into owning a car for the sake of being the big dick down the pub or 0-60 times, I want what the mx5 has opened my eyes to.

Anyway, if I was going to do another MX5, which I might as a side project for something to do now the other cars are all done, I would do throttle bodies, 170-180 BHP is all these cars need for a great balance, I have always loved an NA engine and hearing some screaming ITB's on an engine being thrashed to the rev limit is my cup of tea.

Good luck with your car and let me know what you went for.

·
@Markbcars
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #493 ·
It's finally back on the ground. Had a bit of a wait for the reinforced diff carrier but my god, just look at it!! It is way beyond what I thought it was going to be, I just expected a bit of metal welded in to 1 section. NOT 4 CNC's ally pieces welded into each void. Wow, seriously impressed with G19's work once again and for what I have received, well under priced for the result.

Built back up, new seals and proper fluid for diff and box.

Reminds me, I need to ditch the ARB.

Fisrt thing I did, spin around the block and then a wash!

i have the same judder when engaging the clutch in 1st/reverse, so I need to work that one out but it's so bad the engine is banging against something as the entire pff/engine jump around! Really embarrassing and annoying, goes away with higher revs while engaging..Can't be right...

481 - 493 of 493 Posts