Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Rotorhead
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get the feeling I may be here for a while (again) as I'm leaning towards buying another MX5 to replace my MR2, and I'd quite like to attend a meet in the Summer and chat to some old faces again. So with that in mind, here's a quick run-down of my RX7 from the beginning so people might at least recognise the car.

After wanting one for many years, I decided to ignore the internet and buy one. In black, an early import, and with a fresh rebuild. It also made me feel happy in my pants when I test drove it. The only real mods at this stage are some KYB shocks with unknown springs, an unbranded HKS-style exhaust, and Apexi induction kit with AEM cold air intake.

I know what you're thinking. You're right to think that, that spoiler IS huge. It's an R-Magic Type-II, quite a rare and expensive thing, but hideous nonetheless. After some gentle persuasion with a screwdriver, I managed to get it off. I also took the rear lights apart, masked them up and sprayed them to emulate 99-spec rear lights:

I wanted some Rota GTRs in black. Unfortunately, people now seem to think that they can sell second-hand Rotas for almost as much as they bought them new for, and people are actually charging more for XXRs than you can buy them new. So I binned the idea of buying some cheapish wheels and decided to save for some Works. In the mean-time, I bought some BMW Graphite rattle cans and sprayed the wheels I had:

It wasn't long after this that my "ultra reliable" MR2 failed the MOT, so I had to relegate the FD to daily-driver duty. I've bought parts for her since, but they're all still waiting to be fitted. RE-Amemiya diffuser and 99-spec rear spoiler:

Apexi Power FC with Commander:

Another RX7 soon cropped up locally, another early one in black. So I tinted the front lenses just to make mine a bit different. It wasn't long afterwards I noticed the guy had also taken his front plate off and tinted the lenses. Brilliant.

Quick shot of the interior:

I won't bore you with the pictures from it, but I also had a recent calamity after my clutch master cylinder failed on me. This is only the second issue I've had with the car (the other being a 5p wire from the ECU shorting out) in a year of ownership despite everyday use. Regardless, I fixed it the other night so took her out for a quick test drive:

Happy to say, she works properly again!

Night on the town by Rogue86.com, on Flickr

Hard-parked by Rogue86.com, on Flickr

·
Registered
37 Posts
I love the rx8, have a 60plate R3. Comfortable, quick, handles really well, but now I've caught the modding bug, expensive! haha! Bought the mx as a daily and a drifter as I don't fancy wrecking the RX!

Saving up to add a 7 to the fleet, if I don't go Fi on either the MX or RX! Haha!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Saw a nice one of these today at Marham......thought it might have been this one and you were just visiting!

Do you know who owns the one at Marham?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Beautiful car.

I Think the FD RX7 is still one of the best looking cars ever. They got the styling so right. I like the subtle touches you've added.

Nathan

·
Registered
84 Posts
nice to see such a clean simple example, no silly bodykits just the stying as it came from the factory, Always wanted an FD and this has not helped ! Time to buy one.
Some fantastic pictures there, the night shot with the stars is great.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
They are good pics mate and she is a nice car indeed. Photog aren't you?

As much as I love 5's and quite like mk2 MR2's, the design and styling of the RX7 is just timeless. Amazing looking shape.

·
Rotorhead
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers guys, always nice to hear opinions on the car. Buying it in the first place is a fair old gamble as I'm sure you'll appreciate, but was completely worth it. Even if I went outside now and the car was dead, I'd be happy that it's given me the most exciting year of motoring I've had yet. The original lines of the car are what I fell in love with as a child, so they'll stay!

O and I've got some GTRs that might be up for sale if you're interested? Where you based (on iPad so no location)

I'm based in Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, although potentially I could travel. If you can PM me some specs (width, offset, price) we can take it from there.

Do you know who owns the one at Marham?

I don't actually, was it black with an aftermarket front end and the lamps popped up? We had one parked outside our gym for a few weeks but it seems to have disappeared. The last I heard he was having a few issues with it so I assumed he'd taken it off the road, but he could be on a course or have been posted.

They are good pics mate and she is a nice car indeed. Photog aren't you?

Thanks again, I am indeed a RAF Photog. One of the few these days! You in the mob as well then I take it?

·
Rotorhead
4,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you're looking for someone to start a debate with about how the pros and cons of a rotary engine, I'm afraid you're looking in the wrong place. I couldn't really care either way. It's a twin-turbo larger-displacement engine, and behaves exactly like one (except it holds boost when most similar-sized engines have already gone well past the limiter)

I gave the old girl a wash this morning and took her back to the spot I took the first photos when I picked the car up.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.