Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Ive seen a set of secondhand wheels Im quite keen on, good dish and nice style. They are 8 inches wide with 195s fitted... now, Im not particularly looking to go for the stretch/stance look but the car is a daily first and formost but would like to do some track days this year. Question is, will this combo with a bit of stretch be ok for track work or is it just a street style? Appreciate it might not be optimal for track, that is ok, but I dont want and ill handling or dangerous car...

Cheers
Pad

·
Registered
582 Posts
For track you ideally want the tyre wall to go straight up from the edge of the wheel - stretch them and you loose tyre movement, and oversize them and you get too much roll from the tyre wall.

195s sit pretty ideally on a 7" rim, so a 215 should be pretty blob on for an 8" rim....

Im not saying it wont work with a 195, but there will be a little stretch, and you will loose some supalty from the tyre.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the link
. Just to give a bit more background (now I'm not on my phone!), I really only need new tyres... the ones I have on are proper ditchfinders and nearly had a low speed off yesterday - dread to think what they would do at a higher speed evasive manouvre. So I have the budget to buy a set of 15" Proxes or Rainsports, but I dont really like my wheels either... so it was just an opportunistic look really to see if I could kill two birds with one stone and get new (to me) rims and decent tyres. I just know that I will be tracking later in the year so dont want to have a set that just wont do on the track...

the wheels in question http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=321052483258&ssPageName=ADME:X:BOCOR:GB:1123

Cheers

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers all,

Currently watching ebay, here, MX5OC, driftworks and wheel-whores - basically if nothing comes up by weekend will just buy new boots. Still tempted by those XXrs though!

I was interested in Baileys Rays Fuhers on here, but 50 quid to get them delivered (full packing service) and cant get them till later next week..

Guessing 888s might be a bit much for a daily driver as well?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
As long as you avoid puddles/standing water I would of thought 888's would be ok. I run Federal RSR's and they've been brilliant in all weathers except freezing temperatures - just need to adjust your driving to suit. More than good enough for track use too - best of both worlds

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
stretch them and you loose tyre movement
Is that necessarily a bad thing though? Surely a small amount of stretch (not 185 on a 9j rim level, just a small amount) is enough to remove movement in the tyre wall, which then gives improved turn in, since the tyre doesn't flex at initial steering movement? Almost similar to track tyres with their stiffer sidewalls?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.