Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just getting a second opinion,been reading up on miata turbo and read that doing a basic turbo setup, you can set the timing to 8degrees instead of 6 with an intercooler fitted? any input on this?

What i have in my head at the moment for the spec is as follows.
flying miata manifold, elbow and downpipe
1.8 injectors
aem uego wideband sensor,
AFPR
unsure of what turbo to use yet but probably a t25, just have to look into this a bit more.
also considering an emanage blue but again still researching this,
and if its better doing 8degree timing with an intercooler,then ill do this too. thanks

· Premium Member
19,296 Posts
For the cost of an AFPR and an eManage Blue you could just get a full standalone and do it properly.

FWIW if you just had an eManage Blue you also won't need to 'bodge' the timing in this way.

Ditch the AFPR idea, get either a full ECU or a piggyback like the EMB, and some appropriately sized injectors. End result will be similar cost, better drivability, more power and better MPG.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so with an emanage blue i wont need to retard the timing at all? also are they easy enough to tune youself? im not after huge power,and i am trying to keep cost down, and the emanage is alot cheaper than the standalone ecu so i think this is the best route for me with a set of 1.8 injectors.

· Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
Retarding the ignition to 6 or 8 is the base figure, normally its 10, as revs increase do does the timing so when full power the timings like 30 advanced of such like, by retarding it on the base figure it reduces the chance for det when higher up the revs, but lower down it kicks the off boost power in the balls. So will be sluggish. By using proper management that will only retard ignition when 'da boost' comes in it improves drivability low down. To tune you will need a wideband fuel gauge which are around £180 with sensor. But I would say your better off just getting it set up on the rolling road. Emanage can handle bigger injectors than that, and megasquirt even more so. Ms2 basic brand new are like £350, I got my ms1, internal mods and sensors for around £250 secondhand.

· Premium Member
19,296 Posts
so with an emanage blue i wont need to retard the timing at all?
Of course you will, but instead of retarding the entire stock ignition map as you would with an bodge solution, you leave the timing where it is and via the EMB only retard the timing when you actually need to, i.e. when you're in boost.

You retain off boost drivability and you can optimise the power when actually in boost.

And if you're getting an EMB it'd be stupid to stick with 1.8 injectors, they flow barely any more fuel than the 1.6 ones. Do it once and do it right, buy a set of 320's (biggest the EMB can handle) and actually make good power (200bhp rather than 160-170).

Oh and FWIW you can pick up standalone ECU's cheaper than an EMB if you keep your eyes peeled.

· Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your help guys. so 200bhp would be an ideal figure for me,i wouldnt want any more,but that would be a nice number.
right heres a spec of what im thinking,if anybody can see any adjustments they recommend post them up. The main thing thats putting my off megasquirt etc is fitting it,and tuning it myself, ive no idea. and i want to bolt it all up myself,but then id have no way of getting it anywhere who could set it up really. i thought of doing the bodged timing first,then upgrade from there as an when. but going from what youve all said this is what ive got in mind.

fm mani,downpipe and elbow -deposit paid,collecting next month
t25 turbo is what im considering from what ive read.
320 injectors as recommended
one of dans intercooler kits
the obvious oil lines etc
megasquirt.
obviously ill upgrade the clutch etc, hows that looking as a basic plan?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.