Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basically all i have is a half decent head unit & a set of vibe door speakers, an improvement on the oem ones it came with but still not doing it for me, is there a simple way to fit 6x9's into a mk1 without it looking gash? or would i benefit from tweeters & crossovers with my current door speakers? maybe use a small amp to power them?
thanks alot

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
would i benefit from tweeters & crossovers with my current door speakers? maybe use a small amp to power them?
thanks alot
If it needs to go 'tss tss tss' more, then yeah. I rarely find thats the case though myself. I usually want more 'bump bump bump'

edit: An amp would help the speakers already fitted perhaps.

·
Registered
252 Posts
To fit 6x9s youv got to cut out the metal cover on the rear shelf which i think the petrol tank is covered by, harry had it on his but had to bash out some of the fuel tank to fit them in i believe. The only other way around it is building a platform to hold them but looks gash. Get a slimline amp and a couple of tweeters should give it some more power. I need to do it to mine

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Sounds like an amp is your first move then. Or headrest speakers like the eunos to get the sound nearer.

You can 6x9s in the shelf. They need carefull positioning right at the edges. There will be a few threads about it

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
start with the basics.....if you haven't already dynamat the doors, and mount the door speakers on mdf spacers and/or dynamat- in short you are turning your door into a box. If you are using the stock 20 year old speaker cable then replace it and make sure the connections and nice and tight and clean. If that doesnt improve then move into cross overs, amps and subs....you dont need large subs either - see thread below for ideas

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=106518

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info, im not keen on cutting holes in stuff so think i'll pass on the 6x9's.. what kind of amps are there? whenever i search for a small one it still chucks big old 1000 watters at me, and yeah didn't consider the wiring but i think it is the old stuff so i'll change that for something decent when ive got all the kit, would i need a vibe crossover's to match my door speakers?

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
You won't need crossovers unless your adding more speakers. Your just looking at amps and cabling for now. Hopefully your speakers can do the trick then.

It's most likely that your headunit is the first link in the chain to add distaughtion. The amps in them are usually weak compaired to what the speakers will take. Adding your own amp unloads the stereo so it can play clearly. How loud then depends on the amp or speakers.

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
i have enough of both i just want more volume without distortion, wouldn't mind a bit more bump bump but i'm not going down the sub route
You want an amp then.

I've got an amp powering my stock OEM speakers, there's no distortion until it gets extremely loud. I think people really misunderstand how important properly driving your speakers is, the tiny amplifier in a headunit will never be able to cop it.

This sort of thing absolutely wipes the floor with your head units amplifier

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alpine-mrp-t220-Car-Amp-/170966131228?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item27ce60221c

You don't need massive power unless you're a massive audiophile running insanely expensive speakers.

Just hunt eBay for a known brand and inexpensive 2 channel amplifier, you'll be blown away by the difference it can make.

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Probably unimportant, but if you want a very good 250ish watt amp for the least beans then they come in at about £30 from the volvo premium sound cars. The problem will be wiring it as it's plug and play with the rest of the system. It will stand alone though with work and I doubt money can buy much better

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.