Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you guys who have blown your 6 speed kept the shifter? Could do with one ASAP. Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,007 Posts
There are 2 types for the 6 speeds, with different lengths, bushing sizes etc, make sure you get the right one.

Reactions: Zed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 2 types for the 6 speeds, with different lengths, bushing sizes etc, make sure you get the right one.
Good point! I'll try and get the later one but worst comes to worst I'll get the doctormx5 bush

·
5,007 Posts
I dont think it's quite that simple. I was going to do similar but the lengths and ball shape are also different, I know the adapters work but I duno if long term it'll cause issues (much like when people mix and match early and late style hardtop latches).

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dont think it's quite that simple. I was going to do similar but the lengths and ball shape are also different, I know the adapters work but I duno if long term it'll cause issues (much like when people mix and match early and late style hardtop latches).
Yeah my issues with the 5 speed to 6 speed short shifter adaption has led me to want to buy the 6 speed gear stick again

·
5,007 Posts
ooof, it knackered the bush?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ooof, it knackered the bush?
Yep! Noticed a bad rattle at caffeine and machine and stripped it all to find that the bush doesn't even fit on the stick any more maxpeedingrods short shifter life

·
5,007 Posts
Shit. Yeh I got around those issues by swapping in what OE parts I could, the bushing in the kits are is so soft.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shit. Yeh I got around those issues by swapping in what OE parts I could, the bushing in the kits are is so soft.
Yeah not ideal I made the mistake of buying a 6 speed without the gearstick so I had to improvise and it backfired

·
layabout
2,353 Posts
The actual gearstick
might have one, later / large bush type as I made my own gearstick setup:unsure:

apologies for the americanisms
well now you've been told, don't do it again :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

^^ This.

Good point! I'll try and get the later one but worst comes to worst I'll get the doctormx5 bush
might not work, big-bush type might not fit in the small-bush selector-rod inside the gearchange turret....

Rich.

·
5,007 Posts
might have one, later / large bush type as I made my own gearstick setup:unsure:

well now you've been told, don't do it again :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

^^ This.

might not work, big-bush type might not fit in the small-bush selector-rod inside the gearchange turret....

Rich.
So the smaller bush ones will fit in a larger bush turret with the adapter bush. The shifters are different lengths as well though, the later ones are longer. I know they work but duno if long term it'll cause issues.

The larger shifter cannot and will not fit in a smaller turret though.

Reactions: Zed.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

well now you've been told, don't do it again

^^ This.

Rich.
All good knowledge! Appreciate that! Yeah let me know if you're up for selling that gearstick, ill take it off your hands for sure

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the smaller bush ones will fit in a larger bush turret with the adapter bush. The shifters are different lengths as well though, the later ones are longer. I know they work but duno if long term it'll cause issues.

The larger shifter cannot and will not fit in a smaller turret though.
Luckily I have the larger turret, my 6 speed got taken out of a 51 plate car!

·
5,007 Posts
Nice. I had one of each, the smaller one is off a really low mileage RS and I really didnt want to have to put it in the track car, seems a bit of a waste, but I decided I didnt want to mess about with adapting the short shift anymore so it's guna go in, and the higher mileage box will go in the street car.

Reactions: Yugen

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice. I had one of each, the smaller one is off a really low mileage RS and I really didnt want to have to put it in the track car, seems a bit of a waste, but I decided I didnt want to mess about with adapting the short shift anymore so it's guna go in, and the higher mileage box will go in the street car.
If it saves you the headache of what I'm going through it's absolutely worth it haha

·
layabout
2,353 Posts
Yeah let me know if you're up for selling that gearstick, ill take it off your hands for sure
all depends on me finding the fuckin thing, you have no idea of the workshop's filling system - like a mad-woman's shit, its everyfuckingwhere :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Rich.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
all depends on me finding the fuckin thing, you have no idea of the workshop's filling system - like a mad-woman's shit, its everyfuckingwhere

Rich.
Mate I'm exactly the same, I have a set of quarter panels somewhere

1 - 20 of 23 Posts