Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
561 - 580 of 591 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm not a fan of gassless - fluxcore is the devils spit:censored:

time, clean workplace, clean metal and patience are important - piece & quiet also helps as if you cannot concentrate then things get missed🤬
Yeah 100%. I used gas on it and with .6mm wire was pretty happy with it. Hear great things about Rtech though.

Yeah patience is defo top of that list ha ha

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #564 · (Edited)
more stupidity...

decided I needed a matching Stack oilpressure gauge so white-faced and stack branded as opposed to the Autometer fuel-pressure gauge with a black-face o_O

of all the (many) Stack gauges I've bought this is the only one @ full retail price :censored: bloody painfull I'll tell you...

with loom & sensor.

the full compliment, the fuel level gauge & revcounter were secondhand but the 'others' (oil pressure, oil temperature (x4, one as coolant temperature and another with 3 senders selectable for engine / gearbox / diff temps) speedometer, ammeter and time-clock were all bought as new in box but at reduced prices :cool:

the revcounter, Stack's ST400 'recording' tachometer, can record 25 mins of abuse action for playback and has an adjustable shiftlight thats bright!
lots of wiring to 'knit' into the cluster but only 3 actually connect to the car (+12v, earth & ignition pulse / trigger) trying to decide where to mount the momentary buttons to select the modes :unsure:

the brightest thing I've seen since a camera-flash! I weld so am used to brightness but this thing shiftlight causes retina damage! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

also ordered a pair of Supermiata's 2-piece lightwieght discs to run with the Wilwood Dynalite 'Boxmount' setup, gone lightwieght!

and still nothing assembled.....

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #565 ·
bought a pair of used fiberglass wings, these are not cracked but need tidying as theres a few drift-inspired cabletie / bumper mount holes drilled in them @ the front and I'm going to be altering these as the mount-lip across the top is a little short and the rear mounts could be better as theres no partition so any water, mud or dust will flow through to the door area...

not cracked to shittnback...

dont think they've been trimmed well but I'll assess this when (trying to) fit them :-S

'trimmed'

the 'small' top / innerwing 'lip'

this is something for later as theres other projects in the que...

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #566 ·
okey, from the thread 'Nrg slimline boss with momo wheel'

anyway, in the name of science, I've bought an ebay-special 'Short Hub' for the bank-breaking price of £26.23 posted🤭
well, it's here:eek:

looks like a boss:unsure:

other end...

side-on.

like most things - I had to take it to bits:ROFLMAO::p:ROFLMAO:

the horn 'slip-ring' pops off with minor persuasion revealing the back recess, wonder what a 'real' (£110!) Nrg boss looks like:unsure:

I'll try it on a column to asess the splines later and try some bolts in the holes to test the threads, also tempted to drill the back somewhere unimportant to assess the materials hardness - is there anything else to test?

so far it looks like it could be usable...

anyway, I've been looking for a 'solid' boss to replace the oem Mazda / Momo item as they are collapsable in the event of an accident 😶 - not something I want on a competition car and also with a snap-fit / quick-release wheel setup...

more to follow.

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #567 ·
followup, tried the Racetech QR on the non-Nrg hub / boss...

side view shows 3 1/2" / 90mm overall length.

so, the QR fits so Momo wheels should also, the countersunk Allen-bolts supplied with the non-Nrg hub tightened easily and didn't strip threads from the aluminium (OR bolts!) so thats one test passed :cool:

out to check on a column later...

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
waiting for Fedex to deliver a parcel from Supermiata, their 2-piece 11" discs.

problem is I'm still waiting and Fedex's tracking shows them in Lahndahn 😶

:mad:

also collected a cylinder of Argon for the tigset, maybe I'll have playtime on the weekend :unsure:

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #569 ·
delivery from Supermiata, 7 days from California:cool:

their 2-piece 280mm discs & 2 pairs of spring-clips to replace the pad-retaining splitpins in Dynalite calipers (OK, so they're for a different Willwood caliper but....)

assembled.

curved-vane discs (rotors to some!)

these save a few Lbs per side over 'standard' discs, ie. the ND Mx5 items they replace and maybe even the small early 1.6 Mx5 discs?
added to the lighter Wilwood calipers this has lightened the front unsprung weight nicely :cool:

more fun to follow...

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #570 ·
had an idea earlier :p

weighed the Borg & Beck ND Mx5 disc (280mm diameter) @ 12.2 Lbs.

weighed the Supermiata 2-piece disc @7.6 Lbs.

Supermiata claim 'save 3.9lbs per rotor over OEM' so the B&B disc is heavier @ 4.6 Lbs difference - that's 2 bags of sugar each side!😲

the Dynalite caliper is about 3 Lbs then add pads & mount-brackets (another Lb?) and it's seriously lighter than Mazda's 'sport' disc / caliper setup.

hope it works:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #571 ·
more items for the 'pile have arrived, noticable being this....

definately more room for the Vauxhall engine's exhaust manifold (I can use an 'off the shelf' item as opposed to having one made to measure ££££'s)

also...

played with these...

fits (falls into?) a 15" wheel, thats a 280mm diameter disc & the Dynalite caliper....

gap between the caliper & upright.

plenty of space for a cold-air duct (Supermiata are making one available shortly??)

Rich.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
more items for the 'pile have arrived, noticable being this....

definately more room for the Vauxhall engine's exhaust manifold (I can use an 'off the shelf' item as opposed to having one made to measure ££££'s)

also...

played with these...

fits (falls into?) a 15" wheel, thats a 280mm diameter disc & the Dynalite caliper....

gap between the caliper & upright.

plenty of space for a cold-air duct (Supermiata are making one available shortly??)

Rich.
When are you going to start assembling your kit?

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #573 ·
When are you going to start assembling your kit?

Soon.......

Hopefully :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I've been busy so not had quality Eunos-time:(

must gety on with that hybrid bellhousing for the 5/6 speed Mazda Aisin gearbox or buy that sequential thing I covert.......

😕

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #574 ·
curiosity got me so weighed the tubular and standard front crossmembers, 22Lbs for the tubular & 35Lbs for a standard Mk2 item (~5kg difference...)

nothing else to report as I'm out topping & trimming trees in the Jungle garden as I could do without paying for neighbours sheds 😐

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #575 ·
Non-Mazda content again...

windeee today and a few trees in our garden looked sorta wobbly so out with the bowsaw...

one tree was a little loose in the ground and getting moved by the wind so secured with a strap & sling to the Ninety while I got brave with a ladder...

I'd already 'topped' (well, sorta) one tree, reversed the Ninety up to it & stood on it's roof to attack with the saw:cool: and this was the second victim.

the aftermath:unsure:

loads of wood that I don't have a suitable fire to use in:confused:

maybe I'll get around to tidying the swamp garden this summer😲

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #576 ·
chopped some more trees today so as reward I bought some more bits for the silver heap :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

4 x Front Upper Wishbone Arm Washer, Large, MX5 Mk1/2/2.5 (SI6625) =£10.42
2 x Front Upper Wishbone Arm Nut, MX5 Mk1/2/2.5 (SI6918) = £9.22
2 x Rear Hub Lower Bolt, MX5 Mk2/2.5 (SI8241) = £33.12
2 x Front Upper Wishbone Arm Washer, Small, MX5 Mk1/2/2.5 (SI6619) = £4.13
4 x Lower Shock Absorber Mounting Kit, Front, MX5 Mk1/2/2.5 (SI8090) = £25.34
2 x Front Upper Wishbone Arm, Genuine Mazda, MX5 Mk2/2.5 No ABS (SI8810) = £219.26
Mx5parts have a lot to answer for 😲

so, Genuine Mazda front upper mk2 wishbones, pivot-bolt washers & nuts (bolts not in stock), lower damper bolts, washers & nuts - as they are used front & rear & I'm looking at making tubular rear lower wishbones so would be using a seperate non-captive nut and rear lower wishbone-hub bolts (the one thats a nightmare to remove.......)

so now can tick off the mk2 front upright fitting (mk1 & mk2 have different upright / balljoints) and as all the top wishbones I have are scruffy to say the least, new genuine items (also come with genuine rubber bushes pre-fitted :cool: )

one mod I'll make to the upper wishbones is adding a bracket to the drivers side for the abs sensor wiring to mount (I'm using an abs sensor in the drivers front to supply a vss for the Stack electronic speedometer) as the abs wishbones are more expensive & I'm creative ;)

this car is starting to get expensive.

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #577 ·
so, Mx5 parts strike back 😐

had an email yesterday.....

aparetly they're out of stock for the genuine Mazda front / top wishbones, interesting as before I ordered I checked the stock availability on the webshop & there was availability :unsure:

will try to phone & discuss tomorrow.

not impressed.

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #578 ·
another tangent although this does sorta follow the projekt-directin.

trawling ebay & spied a pair of 'as new' Hispec billet aluminium, 2 piston handbrake calipers so a deal was made ;)

& they were delivered today.

test fit on the 5's rear hub & mk2 'sport' sized disc.
these calipers were made for a 10mm thick disc with 38mm diameter pistons and had a set of mintex 1144 pads so a win there.

these are conventional ' lug' mounted not radial like the others I have.

there IS a mount hole hidden behind the h/brake cable mount.

the h/brake cable mount, looks like it'll clash with the suspension top arm but should be clearance enough (& cable-operated h/brake is for parking!)

as a reminder of my lack-of progress with the other calipers, here's a few images.

my 'quick' test caliper width spacers.

the radial-mount for comparison.

now I need to measure a few times & make adapter-brackets...

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #579 ·
more thoughts on the Hispec rear calipers.

been thinking about mont-adapter brackets and think I'll take a leaf out of Supermiata's 'boxmount' idea.
the main bracket will be between the disc & caliper with a brace on the car side.
should be an easy item to design & make.....

then, tangent time again....

BMW front hub conversion time (again), I previously bought some E30 front hubs and then a set of conversion-wheelstuds as they usaually run with bolts to secure the wheel.
the studs are not very long and considering that I need to make an adapter-spacer to get a suitable wheelface offset needed slightly longer - Ebay again 😐
Ebay USA for what I wanted as I was not sure of the studs available in the UK...

20 studs, nuts, threadlock & a suitable allen-key to fit the studs...

shorter & longer studs fitted in the hub to test, uninspiring really o_O

also bought a 15mm diameter long-series machine-ream, this I need to dress the top-wishbone boltholes in the subframe....

Next.

Rich.

·
layabout
2,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #580 ·
I'm having a little attempt at a tidyup so had the tubular subframe out and a mk2 subframe and decided to compare.

I bought the tubular frame for the extra space not wieght and the difference is easy to see.

from the other end? note the differences betweenmk1 & mk2 steeringrack mounts and also that they're offset so dedicated rhd / lhd?

trusty Salter spring-ballance to the rescue, ~34Lbs for the standard Mazda pressed-steel Mk2 frame.

~22Lbs for tubular.

so a happy bonus of ~12Lbs (5 1/2kg) lighter, that added to the lighter brake discs & calipers makes for a serious difference but I'll be fitting some heavy items like a full competition-legal rollcage so the car will stay around the origonal factory wieght :unsure:

I've designed a few gussets and strengthening plates to fit the subframe although thats 'cad' on cardboard and not shown in the photos, partly for the enginemounts and partly as 'spare' mounts for a 'sumpguard' in case I decide to fit one (sumpguard is a bit of a joke with a drysumpped engine but it's a generic term for underside protection and an skid / undertray. also helps with radiator ducting and aero)

Rich.

561 - 580 of 591 Posts