Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my cars tach gauge has not worked since i got it. after much searching of the internet i concluded it was dues to me having a 3 pin coil pack on it and it needs a 4 pin for the tach feed.

however having just looked at the coil packs on auto link it says my M reg should have a 3 pin like it already has.

is this correct?

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,551 Posts
Yeah, the transition from 4-pin to 3-pin was mid-1995, but it's not impossible for your M-reg to be a late registered 'series 1' 1.8.

Is it a UK car or a Roadster? If it's a Roadster, the infill colour on the rear "Roadster" badge is red on Series 1 cars (4-pin) and green on Series 2 (3-pin).

<edit> Wait a minute - M-reg is August 1994 to July 1995, isn't it? In that case the transition is when M-reg changed to N-reg, and your M-reg should be a 4-pin.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers for the help martin

its a uk car

on my log book it says the date of first registration is 25/02/1995

i dont have any badges on mine so i cant check them

is there any other way to make sure?

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,551 Posts
I'm not sure how to check on a UK car, perhaps someone else can chip in, but February '95 is before the changeover date. I don't think the 3-pin version was on sale by then.

There were other changes which came in that year - the change from a real oil pressure gauge (with a numbered scale) to a dummy gauge which just sits about halfway if there's pressure, but I don't know for certain if that came in at exactly the same time.

·
Registered
739 Posts
How many wires go into the back of the coil plugs? Surely there will only be 3 if it's meant to have 3 pin coils?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that makes alot of sense mclovin.

4 wires go into the top if the plugs but theres only 3 pins on the coil packs so 1 wire goes to nothing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The 4th wire is likely to be the tacho signal. I have a set of 4 pin coils for sale if you're interested or now would be a good time to swap to Toyota COPS if you plan modding your car a bit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts